Do I really need 2.5HP motor?

Ibalee

Apr 12, 2014
Houston,tx
I finally gave up on trying to fix the pump and going with the pool store's advice and replacing the 7year old Hayward Tristar 2.5HP 2speed. My question is given the size of my pool 12-15k gallons and the spa overflow into pool feature, do I really need 2.5HP? They quoted me about $600 for the motor which seems pretty steep to the others I see out there. Also, a lot of people seem to advocate the 2speed motor but I normally run high speed only anyway given the cheaper electricity rates in houston. Will I be able to replace my current pump with one speed only? Here's a picture of the spa/pool. Unfortunately you will have to use your imagination because the pump is out. Thanks in advance for any input.

To be clear, are you just replacing the motor or the entire pump? If just the motor, then you need to size the motor to the impeller so it needs to be the same size. If you are going with a new pump, then I wouldn't go any smaller unless your spa jets are too week. What is the model # of your current pump?

The pool store says the pump is about $600 plus another $20 or so for some seal or something. Sounded steep so would like to shop around on the internet but not sure which motor is compatible and what other parts i need to purchase. Couldn't I just use the others parts of my old motor? What is this seal they are trying to sell me?

The pool store says the pump is about $600 plus another $20 or so for some seal or something. Sounded steep so would like to shop around on the internet but not sure which motor is compatible and what other parts i need to purchase. Couldn't I just use the others parts of my old motor? What is this seal they are trying to sell me?
The seal is the part that fits in the pump housing and seals against the motor shaft. If it leaks, water gets in the bearings and your pump will have a life expectancy measured in days if not hours.

What you will end up doing is splitting the pump housing, then removing the impeller, then removing the plate from the pump. You swap the seal, reinstall the plate, reinstall the impeller, replace the gasket, them reattach the two halves of the pump housing.

The seal is part 13.
TriStar.jpg

Yup looking to just replace the motor. I tried to post a picture of the boiler plate but ran out of memory. The model # is R63CXDRS-250. Thanks in advance
That is the motor part #. I was interested in the pump model #. But no matter, I think that the only 2.5 HP comes in is the up rated version so in reality, that is equivalent to a 2 HP up rated pump. So given, the spa, I would not downsize the pump. But if you are at all handy, you can replace the motor close to half the cost.

Thanks to both of you guys for taking the time out to educate a newbie. However, I'm still little gun shy in making the purchase as I'm not sure of the exact spec of the motor I need to purchase. My googling of the model number didn't yield much except for this catalog. And I'm not sure which one is compatible.

http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/media/emerson.pdf

1) Pump Mounting (ie. Square Flange, C-Flange, etc.) - Don't know. I'm guessing square?
2) Horsepower - 2.5HP
3) Service Factor - 1.1SF though does this have to match exactly?
4) Voltage - 230
5) Frequency - not sure what this means
6) Phase - not sure what this means

And finally, does updated mean the same at Full rate or Max rated? Full and Max are the terms used in the manual the previous owner left me.

Maybe the best question to ask is what do I google for to fine compatible motors? Thanks again for all your help and feedbacl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because the TriStar is a 56Y which looks like this:

mFKwYSaxuvZM6-thP37nAhQ.jpg

You might have trouble fitting it in the motor support. The motors you are showing are larger in diameter. See how the motor fits on the support:

hayward_tristar_dimension.jpg

I think I'm really confused now. My old motor was a 56Y frame same as the one in the ad. I wish I could post another picture so that I can put the old motor boiler plate on my post. It's same in every spec as the one in the website except for a higher amp.

http://thespaworks.com/parts/genera...otors-25-hp-230-volt-2-speed-56-y-frame-motor

In fact let me start a new thread so I can post the boiler plate. Please help me clarify what I may be missing. Thanks

The right pump II???

Topics merged. Please keep everything related to a single question/issue/project together in one place. JasonLion

Sorry for starting another thread but wanted to post a picture of the label of the motor that just went out on me. It's 2.5 HP 2 speed Emerson (now US Motors) that's part of Hayward Tristar. Please forgive if my pool spec verbiage sounds out of whack. I'm still trying to piece things together in my brain. Anyways, trying to confirm if I found the right replacement motor in this website. It seems every spec shown in the pop up picture matches my old motor except for having lower amp. Does that make it incompatible? Or any other downside to using this one? Thanks in advance any feedback

http://thespaworks.com/parts/genera...otors-25-hp-230-volt-2-speed-56-y-frame-motor

Click to enlarge the picture to read the label. Now here's a picture of the label from my old motor.

To the mods.... It keeps saying I've exceeded my ability to post more pictures?

A 56Y frame comes in two diameters. The TriStar normally uses the smaller diameter motor. You have posted a motor that is the larger diameter variety. You can use the smaller diameter version on a frame that originally had the larger diameter but not visa versa. The motor support is different for the two motor sizes. Look at the motor closely on your pump. Does it have the square flange like the first picture or is it completely round like the second picture. You might be able to use the second motor if you remove the motor support from the housing but I am not sure how easy that is.

Small Diameter:

mFKwYSaxuvZM6-thP37nAhQ.jpg

Large Diameter:

71IUd4gVmXL._SX425_.jpg

Thanks. Not sure if I'm over thinking this but this is not as straightforward as I initially thought. I'm very close to giving up and paying the pool store's robbery level prices to ensure I get the right motor. Would hate to buy one online and realize it was the wrong one.

.... having said that thanks to everyone who took the time to respond, especially mas985. I was able to delete my other pictures so I could post the label of my old motor. If you guys could help me find a compatible match, it would be much appreciated. I'm looking to keep the same 2.5HP and 2 speed. Would like minimal trouble installing so a match that would not require any special fitting would be ideal. Thanks again and God bless. Happy Easter!

View attachment 28544

Just reposted. Keeps showing upside down. The only thing about your suggestion was that it's 2HP and was designed for a different pump? I guess I was just hoping there would be a more exact match. The pool store claims there is one. Not sure if I believe them though

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.