Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing - dumps lots of sand is this normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing - dumps lots of sand is this normal?

Our waste line is a flex hose leading down and away from the filter (towards the plant beds)
    Each time I backwash I notice a lot of sand is also coming out, so much so that there is now
    an obvious, sand path running away from the hose. for like 15 - 20 feet, I know that some sand would be normal, but is this "too much" and is it a sign of a problem I am missing.
    15x32 Lazy L Inground / Concrete - 25,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.5Hp/ Sand Filter, 7th season with Pool
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    BROMINE - (Purchased Home that way) Bleach shock
    400,000 btu Pentair Master Temp NG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashing - dumps lots of sand is this normal?

I have never had even a small amount of sand come out of my filter when backwashing, did you replace the sand recently? Did you buy the right sized sand?

3. Back To Top    #3

Did they add the recommended amount of sand? There should be a good bit of 'freeboard' between the top of the sand and the top of the filter - if that is too small (ie, they added sand to the top of the standpipe) then the extra sand is going to vacate while backwashing.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for the delay (without power for 3 days and a flooded basement - Pools is still clear though "

The filter has done this since we bought the house,1 1/2 seasons I finally added some sand (pool sand from the pool store)
    last month to replace at least as much as I know I lost. Can't tell how high the level is inside right now but I'm guessing it is just over the half way full point.
    15x32 Lazy L Inground / Concrete - 25,000 US Gal 1979 build
    1.5Hp/ Sand Filter, 7th season with Pool
    Painted cement finish repainted 2011
    BROMINE - (Purchased Home that way) Bleach shock
    400,000 btu Pentair Master Temp NG

5. Back To Top    #5

I've always had a small amount of sand leave my backwash hose when I backwash. When I first turn on the pump sand comes out then after that initial dump, there is very little sand. It's always done that so I'm not concerned about it. I know the amount of sand is correct because we store the pump and filter in the garage so the sand gets dumped every year and replaced.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)