Guinte pool renovation

ghuber

May 11, 2010
Hi All,

My guinte pool is getting is going to get its 10 year renovation this year. New plaster, tile and coping.

This is what I'm thinking thus far:

Plaster - Hydrazzo or Diamond Brite
Tile - Mastertile Stardust
Coping - Mastertile Travertine

Anyone have any thoughts on the Hydrazzo vs Diamond Brite?

More importantly, the Travertine coping. Here in NJ, I'm a little worried even with proper sealing this is not going to last too long given our often cold snowy winters. Any thoughts? Any adviceon the honed or tumbled variations?

I'd like to get another 10 years of beauty out of this plaster/tile/coping combo!

Thanks! :D

Hydrazzo can be absolutely stunning when installed correctly, but it is by far the most difficult and expensive to install correctly and the most sensitive to improper chemical balance.

DiamondBrite is much easier to install and should cost quite a bit less. Keep in mind that the color will never be completely uniform. The colors are very nice, though it is sometimes difficult to imagine what they will look like when the pool is filled with water until you actually see it. DiamondBrite is one of the most durable finishes, least likely to be damaged and less sensitive to improper chemical balance (though balance is still important).

Hydrazzo can be absolutely stunning when installed correctly, but it is by far the most difficult and expensive to install correctly and the most sensitive to improper chemical balance.

DiamondBrite is much easier to install and should cost quite a bit less. Keep in mind that the color will never be completely uniform. The colors are very nice, though it is sometimes difficult to imagine what they will look like when the pool is filled with water until you actually see it. DiamondBrite is one of the most durable finishes, least likely to be damaged and less sensitive to improper chemical balance (though balance is still important).

Hey JasonLion,

Thanks for the input on the plaster. Interestingly my quote for Hydrazzo is actually cheaper than the Diamond Brite... the installers for both are reputable. I'd never heard Hydrazzo is one of the most sensitive to chemical balance and Diamond Brite is one of the most durable, though I guess it makes sense. Just feeling the samples I can tell that the Diamond Brite is rugged as compared to the Hydrazzo. Here in NJ, pools are covered for 8 months out of the year and as such are not chemically balanced during that time... so I suppose neither will last that long in this environment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.