Remote for Robot or not?

May 17, 2008
Do people find that the extra $$ is worth it to have a remote control on their robotic cleaner? I have decided on the Blue Diamond and now am just trying to figure out if the extra $300 is worth it for the ability to steer the thing around the bottom of my pool. Being a total gadget geek my first impulse is to get it fully loaded, but the practical side of me asks if it's really worth the extra money. It seems to me the main point of a robotic cleaner is that it cleans for you, so you don't have to sit there and steer it around for an hour or so. Of course, I understand the remote version will run in full automatic mode and there are times that you can use the remote for "spot" cleaning. Just wanted to know from those who do have remote versions if they feel that they use that feature alot or not.

Thanks!

Adam

PS - Other than the "remote" part, are there any other differences between the two models that may justify the extra $300?

I have a Dolphin Diagnostic and wish I got a remote. It gets stuck on the main drains. Traverses a path across the deep end many times in the same place. Since I have to keep an eye on it and move it, a remote would better suit my needs.

I decided on the Blue Diamond w/ Remote and haven't been disappointed. Not overly thrilled but I would do it again.

The ability to direct it around my pool and pick up the very visible chunks (and spiders) is worth it to me. I "drive" it for five minutes or so and then leave it alone for the rest of the cycle.

The remore is fairly archaic in design but it seems to work ok. I also like that it added about 3 lbs (I think) to the weight of the cleaner which I think is a good thing....more stability.

Dave,

Do you find with your Blue Diamond that it has difficulty climbing walls? And what do you mean by that the remote is "archaic"? From pictures it does look like a pretty low tech remote (it doesn't appear to have a joystick, so I'm assuming there are two switches for forward/backward and left/right).

Thanks,
Adam

(it doesn't appear to have a joystick, so I'm assuming there are two switches for forward/backward and left/right).
Yep. "archaic" Sorta' like buying a new computer game and finding out it's "Pong"! :shock:

Mine climbs the walls just fine but I seldom have a need for that in my vinyl lined pool........10 times faster to just brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.