New member, wondering about AGP warranties

Apr 18, 2014
CT
Hi all,

Curious if anyone has anything positive to say about manufacturer warranties. We have a King George pool that was installed just over 5 years ago self destruct earlier this week. It was professionally installed (though the installer has gone out of business since). We paid extra for this King George model because it was supposed to be practially indestructable, but sitting at dinner, we heard a sound like a giant toilet flushing, and looked in time to see the last of the water rushing down the lawn.

The pool has a pro-rated warranty, so wouldn't cover 100% at this point. And The Pool Factory no longer makes the same pool (though apparently the parent company, Wilbar, does make it (or a variation on it). I've been in touch with the owner of The Pool Factory and am waiting to hear back. Just curious to know how often manufacturers honor their warranties versus try to blame other factors.

i-V3RfxJ5-M.jpg

Thanks,

- Dennis

Please keep us posted on what transpires. I am sure you feel sick.

You can say that again ! We just got some good "spring cleaning" done and were working on trying to get a couple contractors in for things unrelated to the pool and this was the last thing we needed. (Like it's not the last thing anyone needs !!!)

You could post this on everyone else's threads with the caption: It could be worse.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Do not spam other member's threads. ;)

Thank God no one was in the pool when it let loose! Keep us updated!

Sorry to see your pool, I hope you get things resolved. Keep us informed.

For me,
I just purchased a doughboy pool from a local dealer do to if I had problems I know I can go straight to the factory that's been in business for over 60yrs.
Here are a couple things I just read in my warranty that I did not realize. Do not use any Salt Chlorinators they can corrode the pool and will cancel out the warranty.
Also My Doughboy states not to use sand for a cove, not sure if this has anything to do with your problem but it seems like for doughboy pools they make it clear on these two issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I had a bad feeling from the moment I spoke with the owner of The Pool Factory, as there was nothing remotely reassuring said about customer satisfaction; rather "we have to find out why it broke, whether it was a bad liner, in which case you have to contact ... " and so on. So I sent the photos, and got a note back today saying:

"Indications from the photos you sent shows that hundreds of self-tapping screws that should have been screwed into every vertical panel on the top and bottom of the inside (wet side) of your pool were left out and not used which may have caused the failure. Do you have a copy of the instruction manual and can you call your installer?"
OK ... could be; I have no idea. And I already told him the installer was out of business. I'm not sure how hundreds of screws (presumably connecting each steel panel to the top and bottom rails) would have prevented the joint to split apart like it did. But whatever; if that's true, nothing I can do about it. He also wrote:

"Also there are other King George knock offs (some that were made in China) around the industry so we do need to see a copy of your registered warranty card and bill of sale to first make sure if this pool came from our factory."
Really ? I have it ... I didn't send it to him earlier, but it sounds like there's no point. His mind is already made up.

"But it appears that this is a not a manufactures defect of material or workmanship and that pool may have collapsed due to improper pool installation which would not be cover under our warranty.

It is also possible the liner exploded but we cannot tell from the photos you sent."

So it "may have" been improperly installed and it's "possible" the liner exploded, but despite photos clearly showing that the pool split apart, it's definitely not their fault.

I won't swear that it's a lousy pool ... maybe it was improperly installed and that caused the problem. But I would never consider buying anything from the Pool Factory based on their warranty. Whether it should have been covered or not, it's clear to me that the owner had every intention of not covering it. Obviously just my opinion.

Anyway, the new plan is to level the ground out from scratch and put in a Radiant Metric pool. By the way, we have been using a salt water generator, so I think I'll call up Radiant and ask them about it.

After seeing the pictures from better days it shows how much you guys used and interacted with the pool. I can see the loss is very personal.
The hundreds of screws mentioned could be a structural component. It seems the screws would have tied the steel panels into a solid ring like bolting the ends of the steel pool wall together.
Some home owner policies cover outdoor pools. Mine does and has replaced two pools damaged by a wind storm and an ice storm. Just a thought.

"It is also possible the liner exploded but we cannot tell from the photos you sent."

That's sure a new one on me. Note to self: Avoid those "exploding" liners.

I'm sorry for your loss. That bottom rail sure looks corroded to me, or is it just covered with sand?

I am very sorry for what has happened to your pool. Even after install, a lot of work goes into maintenance and landscaping and it is definitely sickening when something like this happens. I am happy that no one was hurt. When it comes to saltwater, it is nice to have BUT, if there is a weak place in the metal, the salt has a tendency to get in and start doing its "dirt work". I am NOT in any way saying this is what happened, I have absolutely no idea. I would just suggest that you ensure that a saltwater system can be used with your next pool. If you have informed your homeowners insurance company that you have a pool, you may want to consider an insurance claim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.