Wait to uncover or start process now?

Jun 17, 2011
Central Iowa
Hi everyone! I'm so anxious to get our pool out of hibernation but want to be smart about it....
We have a mesh black winter cover that is still on our pool. Temp of the water last weekend was around 60 but have had rain and cool temps this week so assuming it is still in the 55-60 range. Water is starting to green and walls slimy and there is some dirt on bottom that fell thru mesh cover over winter.
My question is we are going away for the Easter weekend after school today. Would there be any value in me turning on the pump/filter without chlorine since I won't be around to hold a slam level or should I just keep her under wraps until Monday? Temps are supposed to be in the 70's the next 5-7 days so it's close to go time.
Even if I keep the filter off would it be ok to take off the winter cover and leave her exposed during the weekend or would my algae go to town with the sunshine? Should I vac first to waste before slam process to get dirt from bottom out? No, leaves just dirt.

I've got my 5 gallons of bleach stocked and my TFP-100 kit ready to go but I need to get the water good and mixed before I take a sample....

Thanks, I feel like I sort of know the answer but I wanted to check with you all much more experienced ones. :) We are building a deck around the pool (will post that process if I can figure out loading pics) this spring so I know it's going to be a mess around there for a while but I am anxious to have a pretty blue spot to gaze at. ;)

Since your pool already had a bit of algae in it, it can wait until your return. Might be a good idea to get several more cases of bleach, you will probably need it for your SLAM.

You could leave the cover on, to avoid getting large debris in the pool. When you get back, a vac to waste would be a good idea before starting the slam.

For doing pics, best to upload to a pic hosting site, like photobucket -- there are plenty of free ones out there -- and link them into your posts.

Enjoy your weekend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.