Shock Help

Apr 17, 2014
Australia
We are very new to having our intex ag pool, all was great until our saltwater chlorinator stopped working and we didn't add chlorine therefore green pool.

After 2 weeks of buying products from pool shop and no success we were told to really shock it by adding 1.5kg of granular chlorine 500ml acid and 200ml algicide. We have backwashed everyday and cleaned our pump. This has worked to get rid of the green, our pool is a nice light blue but very cloudy we can't see the bottom at all. Our chemical readings are now through the roof

Total hardness 500
TC over 10
FC 20
PH 8.4
TA 120
CYA 30-50

Should we just keep filtering until FC & TC levels drop and keep adding acid?

Hi there and welcome :) Do you have a vacuum? You might want to throw a vac over it, and leave the filter on 24/7 for a couple of days- - - Updated - - -

I should have said G'day.... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Is your pool a round or a rectangle?

Do NOT touch the pH until your FC comes down. The high chlorine is giving a false high pH. Your pool water is cloudy because you've killed the algae and you are not done. SLAMing is complete when you lose less than 1ppm chlorine over night (How do you know you've passed the OCLT if you've not got a recommended test kit?), You've got less than .5 CC (How do you know if you have less than .5 CC if you don't have the recommended test kit?), the water is Crystal Clear (It is cloudy according to you!).

Please read Pool School and become accustom to the ways we treat our water.

Welcome to TFP!

Hi there and welcome :) Do you have a vacuum? You might want to throw a vac over it, and leave the filter on 24/7 for a couple of days- - - Updated - - -

I should have said G'day.... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Is your pool a round or a rectangle?

Hi :) No we haven't got around to getting a vacuum as all the pool shops say our pump is too small :(
We will keep the filter going until we have a nice clear pool and we have the rectangle same as yours :)

Ok no touching Ph :) unfortunately it's Good Friday hear in aus so I am unable to get another test kit :(. How can I get by and make sure not to undo the work I've done?? I just would like to know what to do next or does it just now need to filter for the next 24hrs to reduce TC & FC???

Do NOT touch the pH until your FC comes down. The high chlorine is giving a false high pH. Your pool water is cloudy because you've killed the algae and you are not done. SLAMing is complete when you lose less than 1ppm chlorine over night (How do you know you've passed the OCLT if you've not got a recommended test kit?), You've got less than .5 CC (How do you know if you have less than .5 CC if you don't have the recommended test kit?), the water is Crystal Clear (It is cloudy according to you!).

Please read Pool School and become accustom to the ways we treat our water.

Welcome to TFP!

Follow Caseys advice
1. Leave pH alone for now. Your FC level is too high to give an accurate reading.
2. Read Pool School to learn how to SLAM your pool. <~~~SLAMming your pool will clear up your water.
3. Buy a recommended test kit. You cannot properly SLAM your pool without it.

P.S. If you really need to buy something, you can start buying liquid chlorine or bleach. You will need this to complete the SLAM process.

To get a decent test kit in Australia you will have to use Amazon or http://www.saltwaterpoolparts.com/australia-shipping.html to get one... But I do suggest you order one ASAP.... You can't test for CC FC and CYA effectively or at all with a four way test kit.... And yes you can run a vacuum with it, just don't run it for very long....It takes about 10 mins to vac the pool it wont hurt your pump too much... Your pump can pull 1600 gph, so that should be able to handle it.....

I got all that stuff (vacuum, over the wall skimmer, hoses and connections) included in the pool, did you get any of that stuff, **** I even got a full volleyball kit included.... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.