Slam question

Cpool

Oct 30, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi guys, I started slamming my pool today as the water was In bad shape...

Here's my situation, my cya was at 0. I added 4 lbs of stabilizer in a sock that's currently dissolving. I added bleach and my fc is at 12 currently. I know I probably should have waited until my cya was up but the water was looking bad so I went ahead and started slamming. I've read it takes days for the cya to raise in the pool so what level of fc should I aim for through the slam process. Is it ok to continue shocking with a low cay level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I've ran into another problem...I didn't notice my local stores do not carry taylor r-0871 reagent for my taylor 2006...I'm in the middle of slamming the pool. The only other test I have is the taylor test kit that she's reagent 1&2 with a color matching tube. What would you guys recommend I do to test?

From what I understand -- granted I may be wrong -- the OTO test turns brown at around 10-12. That may be a stop-gap close enough until you get your R-0871. Order it from Dave, and he'll most likely get it shipped first thing Monday. Check with him, and see if he can do this for you.

By the way, Cpool, Where are you located? It might be a good idea to have that info in your profile.

I found it! From an earlier post of mine.

Blinding yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange. I never went any higher than that, but it's been reliably reported that it eventually will turn brown if you get high enough.

Also note that some reports say that OTO won't bleach out. However, I have seen OTO bleach out at around 90 to 100 ppm. It might have been poor quality OTO. Therefore, I can't say that all OTO will bleach out, but it seems that some will.

Yes i am a victim of not enough reagents...i thought i could purchase the 0871 reagent locally but apparently i was incorrect. I will take the advice on how to read the oto test kit and hopefully i can finish out this slam process. When i test it with the oto it is super yellow so i guess I'm around 10-12 which is what I'm looking for so hopefully it works. Thanks again guys, really big help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.