All the pumps failed

Apr 17, 2014
San Antonio
Hi I was wondering if you all could help me. This all new to me. I just purchased an Intex 9' x 18' x 52" pool. I have used their smaller pools and all the pumps failed and everything I have read indicates I should expect nothing less from the new one. So here is my question.
I want to purchase a new pump and salt filter system before I install the pool. What size pump (flow rate) do I need to properly handle my pool size? If I purchase a stronger pump will the size of the in feed line be a problem? (I don’t want the pump to cavitate).
Thanks for any help.
rlehnig

Re: Intex Pool Owners Who Have Upgraded Theirs

If I had to go by what is currently happening to me I'd say DON'T EVER TOUCH ANYTHING! I hope when you do yours you have the success everyone else here has had and nothing like the experience I am having. Good luck.

Don't put too much into what I said. I am having a really trying time upgrading some of my plumbing stuff. The difference is, yours would all be starting fresh and new. I think some of my problems are due to the fact that everything I have has been in place for a while now. When I touch one thing it messes another thing up.

I'm also dealing with a full pool and doing everything with water in the pool already is a pain in the neck.

I am definitely happy with my pump and filter. I upgraded those 3 years ago and it was worth every penny. It's just that this year I decided to start changing my fittings instead of using the intex and I'm having some trouble. It seems my trouble is not the norm though cause every other thread I've read here is filled with success stories. Hopefully mine will end with success too.

It turns out I'm just not good at plumbing.

*edit*
Oh, and I'm also a bit mad with my husband for not being willing to help me...
a woman scorned..

have no fear Beens, you will get it all behind you and then you can also be called a expert then :) I have faith.

- - - Updated - - -

and to update your signature, just go in to settings at the top of the page, and then you will have an option for signature on your left.

A hijacking side conversation has been moved here. JasonLion

Hi Rlehnig :) Welcome... I have the exact same pool... Mine actually came with a pretty big cartridge filter, but I've decided to use that as my dedicated solar heater pump.... I believe mine is the Krystal Clear Model 636T which pumps 5000 litres an hour...... 1 US gallon = 3.78 litres, so 1320 gallons an hour.... Technically you should only need to run this pump 4-6 hours a day... :) And its only 165watts, so cheap to run also.... :) Did you get a filter with your pool???

Welcome to TFP!avere

Intex pumps get the bad rep from owners of the small all in one pumps. Those do fail quite often, usually after only one or two seasons.

If you upgrade to at least the 2500 gph cartridge, the pumps get much better If you go further, and get the 2650 gph sand filter, now you have something closer to a normal AGP pump.

The one thing that is a constant with even the larger pumps is the combination systems which include pump, filter, and SWG. These seem to have a problem with the single control board that operates the whole thing. Board fails, and nothing works. If your buy the SWG separate, they seem to last a lot longer.

The size of pool you have should already have the large ports on it (included for you to install) so should be compatible with any of the larger pumps. Your best bet if you stay with Intex products would be the 2650 gph sand filter.

Hey Charlie R, I have the same pool and mine has two returns, not sure if that's the case with all intex pools... Australia has regulations on returns, 2 being the minimum, its a safety thing if kids get sucked into one of the holes...... The returns on my pool, are the plastic post returns... :-( I believe you helped me on my Intex fitting return question earlier... Thank you for that... :)

But most intex pools on here, I've only seen a single return and suction......

Sorry I have one return that is the bigger hole and two plastic post suction sides.... Sorry for the confusion...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.