Filter is 13 years old & 2nd pump keeps failing - Replace all or only pump?

bjsbuds

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I know there has been a lot of questions about which pump, but I want to be sure to select the right thing that will last 10 years.

IG pool is 13 years old. Still using the same S200 Hayward Sand Filter. Have replaced the sand twice, a lateral here and there, and the valve once.

Hayward 1hp 2-speed Super Pump was originally installed, but failed after 8 years. Replaced with a Hayward 1 1/2hp 2-speed Super Pump, which has never been quite right. It runs very hot, shut down upon occasion.

Replaced Raypak Heater last summer with another one, uses propane. Also purchased a Dolphin Supreme and love it!

So, should I just replace the pump with another Hayward 1 hp 2-speed Super Pump and leave everything else alone? Or, is there a better consideration for a replacement? Should I consider replacing the filter at this time? If so, keep with sand or try cartridges?

Goal: I just want it to work and be "Trouble Free".

If there is nothing wrong with the filter, no need to replace it.

I am not sure you will find anyone that will guarantee you will get 10 years out of a motor. Seems they do not last as long as they used to. You can help by having the pump protected from the elements.

Did you previously just replace the motor or the entire pump?

If there is nothing wrong with the filter, no need to replace it.

Did you previously just replace the motor or the entire pump?

I replaced the entire pump. I purchased it on-line where I found the cheapest price, but not sure it was the most reputable retailer, so I have always wondered if I got what I paid for. Are you suggesting that I consider replacing just the motor?

I visited two pool stores yesterday (not Leslie's) but places that build pools too. Both said there is no need to change sand filter unless it is broke. Both recommended a 1.5hp pump. One said the Hayward SuperPump one-speed is their top seller with pool builds because of price, then he was slightly pushing towards an AquaPro variable speed.

I went back through my pool files and did find that I did not replace the pump housing when I replaced my original 1hp SuperPump 2-speed with a 1.5hp SuperPump 2-speed in 2008, but rather I ended up just replacing the motor so I didn't have to replumb. So, my pump housing is actually 13 years old.

I know there is a lot of discussion about installing variable speed pumps, and I would do that if I positively knew I could save money on electricity. Our rates are $0.025 per kw if I am reading my bill correctly.

I thought who better to learn from than the Administrators and Moderators on this great forum. I looked up the signatures of each to see what equipment they use. Unfortunately, four of the 13 do not share their equipment. But it appears as the nine that do, not one of them has a variable speed pump. It's about 50/50 on single speed vs. 2-speed. So, I am starting to wonder if a 2-speed is more than sufficient, and just add a timer. I usually run the pump 24/7. A variable speed pump runs anywhere from $250 - $500 more than a 2-speed.

A VS pump only makes sense if your electrical rates are very high or you have a lot of different flow rate requirements. A small 2 speed pump will save a lot of money over a single speed and the VS is only increment beyond that.

Of course the best way to save money is to not run the pump. No way you need the pump running that much. See the article in the How To section of Pool School about pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.