Going to bid and would like your help

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

We are getting ready to go to bid for our pool and would like some of your general guidance, but pls be specific if you wish.

Facts:
Live in Hou Tx
Pool Size: IG 14K gal w Spa
Chemistry: Chlorine
Shape: Rectangular, depths from '4.6" to 5'.6"

Looking for advice on:

Pool cleaning systems [in floor vs other]

Filtering systems

I hope this is enough information based on the "getting-started" and "read this before you post". We are qualifying pool vendors and would like to know what to consider and what to stay away from. I would rather pay more upfront and less on the back end, as well as headaches.

Thank you very much,
tstex

Pool cleaning systems can be a personal choice thing, much the same for filtering. Personally I would never want an in floor system, too prone to head aches, My choice on cleaners is robots hands down, every year they get better and cheaper. As to filtering Sand, DE and cartridge can all work well for most people. DE and Sand both require backwashing which consumes a lot of water can be a drainage issue in many modern dense housing enviroments, or a problem for those on water restrictions which likely does not apply to Houston unless we have more summers like 2011. The key on filters is to buy ones that are big enough, pool builders love to undersize filters and oversize pumps. I am sure some of our Houston area members will chime in on specific builders to suggest. It would probably have helped to put Houston in the title to attract them though

Ike

Thanks Ike - appreciate the follow-up.

I tried editing to add Houston in title, but will only allow editing in the body. If there is an Adm that can edit the title, Could read, "Going to bid 'in Houston' and would like your help".

Thx again,
tstex

Make sure you negotiate pool volleyball sleeves and umbrella sleeves as they might try to charge you extra for these things at a later date. Also ask if they will throw in "toppers" these are 4"X4" glass tiles that outline the steps and benches, you might not want to add these but we did.

-ask for another led light in pool area, most PB only give a total of three lights (2 in pool, 1 in spa)

-ask if they will be replacing sod in yard the dig will eat up your yard.(they might do this, most PB will not they usually will grade your yard)

-Tell them you would like an extra GFCI outlet behind the pool so you can add landscape lighting at a later time ( I added and it cost me an extra $395)

-Tell them you want a landscape allowance (I've seen some PB offer this, can't hurt to ask)

These are some of the tings we added/negotiated/and paid for, we did not think we wanted these things but realized we did.The PB might not include any of this for you, but it never hurts to ask.

I am in the other camp when it comes to in floor cleaning. I will be able to give you firsthand experience as I am building my third pool. I had robotic cleaners in the past and I did not like having to remove and clean them and the aesthetics of them was not to my liking. To each his own.

Don't skimp on the LED lighting. Our plans only called for one but def could use a second one.

Also drainage, drainage, drainage. I spent many weekend digging drainage pipes after the pool was built. It was just something I did not consider.

If you are even remotely considering anything electrical or gas in the future run the stub ups. It will cause much less frustration in the future.

After just putting in a pool I second the advice on getting the electrical and gas stubs for later. Also, having them repair/ replace any and all landscaping/sod that is damaged in the construction. My PB only included 2 pallets of sod - we paid for 2 more and still need more after having four trucks parked in the yard for days and running the gas line across the front yard from the opposite side of the house! Good luck with your build.

Ask for a turnkey quote. You want everything included.

Also, you pool is quite small. PB's charge by the linear foot "perimiter" so a freeform pool will typically be cheaper for a similar size pool. Just wanted to mention that since were worried about cost.

Speaking of...if you haven't got a quote yet, be prepared for sticker shock.

What part of town are you in? We can recommend a few builders if you're in the Cypress area.

GL with your build.

Thank you very much for the many replies. I will try to address all.

First, our house has all/angular sides and is stucco, so we chose to keep the continuity vs free form. We also have a sunning area next to the spa. I am going to sink more money into an elaborate spa w plenty of jets and a very good heating system. I am in my mid 50s w two daughters [12 & 15] and I am going to have to keep my muscles relaxed and fleixible so I can soon chase the guys down, when needed.

Next, we are also adding a 20' x 36' summer kitchen with gas stove and gas/wood burning fireplace. I am also getting multilple GFI weatherprrof outlets put in, lighting in the back and 4-6 drip-lines for potted-plants. I am also trying to locate the pool equipment as close to the pool as possible, which will be hidden by wall that will support the scuppers and plant platforms...this proximity will minimize friction loss to pool and most importantly, strong pressure to the jacuzzi. The equipment will be both wall hidden and plant insulated from the summer-kitchen to eliminate view and minimize sound. Re lighting, we have 2 LED's in the pool and one in the spa...lights will face away from the house. We also have e-options for along the wall if we need them. Does this sound good?

Third, a lot of builders are pushing the Paramount-in-flr systems cleaning systems. However, I heed warnings. Has the technology on these become any better than the posts from 1 yr ago to the semi-present? Also, I am not into back-washing anything and would like to conserve as much water as possible in this operation, so I am all ears and a very good listener/reader.

Fourth, I will inquire with all PB's on allowances and other, after the bids are submitted and no change orders. Volley ball sleeves sounds good; if they want out of the sun, they can walk to the summer kitchen.

Lastly, my gas line is REAL FAR from the point of where the equipment is to probably go. This is going to be an expensive run, but it makes sense to run the gas line long rather than multiple PVC lines and increase the load on all of your pumping systems. We will run the line from the meter and T-Off twice along the way: one for the gas stove and another for the fire place.

Finally, we reside in West Houston, S of I-10 and East of Hwy 6 S, any PB names would be great, as well as whom to avoid. Feel free to send me a private note if you prefer. However, I think making both good and bad builders public news is astute for all, as long as it does not violate any of the rules here.

Thanks again and I look forward to contributing back soon to the board soon to help others w their requests. I appreciate your responses.

Happy Easter to all.

Regards,
tstex

I hear ya on the expensive long gas runs. Instead maybe you could just use propane instead. I wrestled with a 2k gas run vs. just using propane. Might be something to consider if budget is a concern.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How is the tree situation in your neighborhood? We live in a older (relative) area with large tall trees. I'm fortunate as they are on the neighbors lots and not mine. I'm able to keep our pool spotless with weekly use of a robotic cleaner. I put him in and take him out a couple hours later. My sister is 10 miles away with several large oaks (post and live) in her yard. She keeps a pressure pool sweep in the pool constantly. In fact, everyone I know that has that type of pool cleaner leaves them in. It's fine if the pool is a focal point and a PITA if you use the pool for swimming.

Good luck in getting complete quotes. When shopping, we had specific needs and wants. Never could get straight answers from any builder.

I forgot, we had an in floor cleaning system with a house in Tucson. It really didn't do a very good job and we still had to sweep and vacuum.

Re propane, I have too many gas outlets...gas only....
Good point on mentioning the trees. We only have palm trees around so leaves will not be a problem at all. Not going to landscape with anything that shed leaves or flowers like a Crate Myrtle... With this being the case, what cleaning system would be more ideal...thx again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.