SWG plus ozone

ruce22

Apr 17, 2014
Oklahoma
I am new to the site but I have tried to keep up with the ozone discussion but am still reading. I understand that the stance for most is Ozone isn't worth the money (found mine relatively cheap online so it wasn't a huge expense) but my question is is there any downside of having both Ozone and SWG? It very well maybe overkill but am curious since I have both.

Re: Ozone Claims

rue22, welcome to TFP!

Ozone breaks down chlorine, increasing the total amount of chlorine that must be added to the pool. Also, there is a small risk that ozone will get into the air, potentially causing respiratory problems. The amount of chlorine lost is typically small, and ozone getting into the air is unlikely, so these are minor issues. In any case, in a residential (low bather load) pool it is a net negative, though not dramatically so.

Ozone can be of great benefit in high bather load pools, typically commercial pools.

Re: Ozone Claims

I appreciate the welcome and all the advice on TFP.
If I understand you correctly it will not hurt anything to run my system (i.e. both ozone and SWG) as I have it but wouldn't go to the hassle and expense of adding ozone? I so far haven't had any issues with running them both but has only been running a short time. I have my SWG set at 20% and its maintains a 2.0 fc and 2.1 tc. I keep my pool readings as if I didn't have ozone. My pool readings as of an hour ago were I know my PH is a little low but I have been lowering my ALK to add boric acid today. What are your thought on the LaMotte Color Q testers?

FC-2
TC-2.1
PH 7.4
ALK-85
CH-300
CYA-70

The Color-Q is alright, but it has a few too many quirks to be recommended. The CYA test isn't as precise as one would want, high FC levels prevent testing, very high CH levels can completely throw off all of the results, etc.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, your FC is too low. For a CYA of 70ppm with a SWG, you should never let the FC get below 3ppm. See the FC/CYA Chart.

If you search the forum, you will see that most of us do not have a very high opinion of digital testers. They can be OK for something and WAY off on others and require frequent calibration to have any hope of being accurate. Unfortunately, there is no way to know if it is giving good results or garbage.

As Jason said there is no real harm in using an Ozone system other than added unnecessary expense and slight increase in Chlorine consumption.

As to the Color-Q if you search the forum you will find several examples of Color-Q lovers turned Color-Q haters after using it for a year or so. The big problem with them seems to be random major inconsistency forcing people to repeat tests to gain confidence in the results.

Ike

I appreciate all the input I am enjoying the site a great deal and all the many tools to broaden ones knowledge. I am not liking the Color Q so well thus far. I always use two testers anyway so I am using one digital one non just to check myself and the test plus all we have is Leslie's Pool which I hate going in there...lol
I just had turned the SWG off trying to get it dialed in so thats the reason its a little low. I have adjusted it up to maintain over 3 FC. It had gotten high not sure if it was too high was reading over 6 fc. Also I am fixing to add boric acid is an ALK of 85 to high to add the Boric?

Your FC would only be too high is you got over SLAM level which is a FC level of 28ppm for you :D

If you need to raise the FC quickly (which I would and not wait for the SWG to raise it), then just use PoolMath to know mow much bleach to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.