CYA and CH both decreased...

Feb 24, 2013
Hello,

I've been back of the swing of things and performing complete pool chem tests with my TF-100 kit after a long winter of only testing chlorine and pH. When I first tested on March 6, here were my results:

3-6-2014:

FC 8.0
CC 0.0
TC 8.0
pH 8.0
CH 730
CYA 90
TA 110

I've adjusted pH and chlorine as needed but I haven't tested cya or CH since. The other day I ran another full test and here's what I got:

4-14-2014

FC 7.0
CC 0.0
TC 7.0
pH 7.4
TA 100
CH 500
CYA 70

What would cause big drops of CYA and CH over the course of a month? It has been raining and we've been swimming so there has been some splash out, but not enough for huge drops in those numbers. I'm kind if relieved because now I don't have to drain. I'm in hot Houston with full sun so CYA of 70 works well got me. I'm really concerned that I have a leak though. The pump looks fine and there is no water leaking at the pumps. Where else do I check for leaks? I do feel like I've needed to add extra water here and there but nothing substantial. Maybe and inch of water to keep it at appropriate levels.

Should I just count my blessings or does this look like a problem? My pool warranty is up in June so Ud like to figure this out while the pool builder is still responsible. Has this ever happened to anyone before?

I do have an overflow drain and it's a possibility. According to the pool calc, I would need to drain 22% of my water to drop 20 points of CYA And that is 3,700 gallons. I can't imagine that much would drain away but I guess it's possible.

When we built the pool, there was an area of gunite by the steps that always weeped water into the pool, but I doubt that water could drain out of that area after the luna quartz was sprayed on.

Judging by the rainfall here in SW Louisiana the last 6 weeks, I suspect houston is close to 10 inches in that time period, depending on exact location. Keep in mind this part of the gulf coast averages around 54-60 inches of rain per year.

Thanks all! This is good news to me. I have been waiting to get paid so I can rent a pump and buy a backwash hose, but fortunately I don't need to anymore. My pool was built in June of last year so I haven't been through a rainy spring as a pool owner yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.