Chlorine Check

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
My chlorine yesterday was around 4-5, this morning it was 1. I just added 192oz of bleach to get it around 5.5. I am also adding water as we speak since the water level has dropped since last weekend.

These are my #'s today...

FC....1.0
pH....7.5
TA...80
CYA(last time I checked).....45-50

Our pool gets FULL sun and since we finally had our new filter installed last Friday, and we had clear sunny skies on Monday and yesterday, we have been using the solar panels and the water the last two days was 87 and 90.

1) Does pool temperature dissipate the chlorine levels? (in addition to the UV from the sun)
2) How often do you need to replenish CYA with stabilizer? I need to order more CYA reagent.
3) How do you know if you have algae? (Dumb ?) Is it something you see? Feel? My water is clear, but I am constantly worrying.

I know my CH levels are low(er) and plan on increasing to about 200 once everything is operational, but not too concerned since it is a vinyl lined pool. It is just with the kids swimming and trying to make sure the CL and pH levels are balanced, it is tough to find the time in-between to add anything else right now.

I am going to run to the pool store and have my water tested only because I have never done that yet. Have always used TF100 since the pool was completed last month. So far, so good, I just want to compare.

Thx.

I just wanted to edit saying that although my signature says Autopilot SWG, we still do not have it running yet, so we are still using bleach. Once it is running I know the CYA levels needs to come up a bit. How do you edit your signature with the new site?

CYA can drop over time if you are backwashing and adding fresh water to replace it. Evaporation does not affect CYA levels.

What time yesterday was it at 4-5? Early, late evening? A 3-4 drop overnight is alot and could indicate algae taking hold. But full sun, all day, a 24 hour drop of 3 or more has been reported on here. Someone said a 50% drop in full sun is not unusual. Keeping it covered with a solar cover when not in use helps prevent loss due to uv.

Yes, I believe warmer water temps can increase CL demand.

Seems to be good news this am.

Last night (7pm)
FC.....3.0

This am (7:30am)
FC.....3.0

Though the question is losing 2.5ppm of Cl during the day. Within 8 hours of increasing the CL to 5.5

I never made it to the pool store yesterday to test my water. (How much water do you typically bring with you? In a baggie or container?) My guess is that I need to add some more stabilizer to increase my CYA. Even if I add one bottle (I have the liquid), it wil increase it 15ppm, which is not too drastic, even if my current levels are at 40ish.

That is good news.... :mrgreen:

With an SWG the recommendation for CYA is 60-80 so I would raise it there if/when you do turn on the SWG. Are you going to use the SWG?

When I bring water to the pool store, I just bring a bottle, like an empty water bottle or something. It doesn't have to be that big, they need about a cup or so, if that (about the same amount we use with the TF-100) You need to take it there fresh, it won't be accurate if you let it sit too long. Ah heck it probably won't be too accurate anyway.

2.5 loss during the day isn't that bad, especially if you have full sun and no solar cover, or kiddies swimming....

Thanks! Yes, we do plan on using the SWG. The "original" electrician, an old timer, was way above his head with our SWG and dual speed pump. Told me he wanted payment while waiting for the pb to finish his work. He had done 95% of the work, I trusted him, he is a local and he told me he would come back. Low and behold, he made a comment that he was losing money on this job and had put in enough time. The pump is still not connected properly to work low/high...has been on high since we opened the pool (can't wait to see this months electric bill, not the purpose of us getting the 2sp pump..lol) and the SWG *may* be connected properly, but I do not want to put in 14 bags of pool salt to find out the SWG is not connected correctly.

So we now have another electrician coming Saturday to connect the pool pump and the SWG AND bond our pool the right way. Yes, we also found out the electrician did not even bond the pool properly. Cannot decide what to do, probably just file a complaint with the BBB on the other guy.

Sorry for the tangent...very frustrating to have all this equipment that we still cannot use after 1 month. Soon to be resolved though and put behind us so we can truly enjoy our pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.