Replacing pump for my Intex 9' x 18' x 52" pool before install

Apr 17, 2014
San Antonio
I just purchased an Intex 9' x 18' x 52" pool. I have used their smaller pools and all the pumps failed and everything I have read indicates I should expect nothing less from the new one. So here is my question.
I want to purchase a new pump and salt filter system before I install the pool. What size pump (flow rate) do I need to properly handle my pool size? If I purchase a stronger pump will the size of the in feed line be a problem? (I don’t want the pump to cavitate).
Thanks for any help.

RL

Anything rated 1/2 hp to 1 hp should be plenty of pump for your pool. While it may be another intex product, many of our members have been happy with Intex pump and sand filter combo. Otherwise any above ground pool pump should work well. I think Waterway pumps have proprietary threads but I may be wrong.

Many of our members have modified their Intex pools with upgrading plumbing, but you should still be able to use flexible hoses without problems. Now if you get a really good deal on a 3 hp pump and hook it up then you may have issues with the lines collapsing!

More intex threads: Useful links for fellow intex pool owners

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.