Cracked pump strainer

AnnaK

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
There's a very small leak in my pump pot, the occasional drop, maybe one every 90 seconds. It hasn't affected pump operation on low speed but on high speed, especially when I vacuum, there's some bubble action in the pot and tiny air bubbles coming out the return.

My question is: is there a product, caulk or something, I can use to seal the leak? Or must I replace the entire pot?

Can you actually see the crack?

I would imagine that due to the incredible pressures that the pump generates inside the pump strainer, it would be advisable to just replace it for safety's sake.

Yes, the crack is visible. At first we thought it was a seam but that doesn't make any sense since they'd make the pot out of one molded piece, wouldn't they?

Replacement, eh? Sigh. And here I thought my biggest pool expense this year would have been twenty bucks for TF-100 refills. Shoot.

You could try some 2-part epoxy or that Mighty-Putty that's "As seen on TV". I don't really think there is any danger in having a sealed cracked pump strainer pot. All the forces/pressure is suction so if anything, I would think the pumps own power would want to close the crack. If the crack were in the positive pressure side of the pump, then I would recomend replacing that piece.

HTH,
Adam

Anna, just make sure that it is waterproof. Try to gently smear some into the crack first and then lay a heavier 'bead' on top of that and smooth the edges to make a tight seal. (With some epoxies, it's best to wet your finger when trying to blend it in or 'smear' it :-D )

I hope this takes care of the problem!!

Ted

Ok. Waterproof 2-part epoxy. That's the stuff where the resin and the hardener come separately and you mix them together just before use, is that the correct stuff?

I would make this repair on the inside of the pot, right? The crack is a very fine hairline crack going in a straight vertical line down. Or up. From about the middle of the pot to the bottom rim but the rim isn't cracked. It's such a fine line that I don't know if I can get any epoxy IN it but I will do my best. Fortunately all the PVC pipes have ball valves on them and it'll be easy to drain the lines and dry the pot.

I'll let you know how it goes, it'll be a weekend task.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.