New House, New AGP set-up

Jun 11, 2012
Topeka, KS
Hi folks,

First off, thanks for being the best group of pool enthusiasts around. So much knowledge in these forums that help out so much.

Ok, so we finally bought a house and I'm ready to install a 15' Intex metal frame pool. We've had this pool for three years now, and it's still working great for us. I've put this pool up at two different locations, but it has been un-level both times. This time, I'm going to start early and take my time to do things right. Here is my game plan, so help me out:

Call to get utilities marked
Rent a sod cutter and take out about 4-6 inches to get down to hard ground
Use a level to get the ground completely level (transit level maybe? Has anyone used one for this?)
Get 1 inch extruded foam and make a 16' X 16' square. I plan to use gorilla tape to make sure it is tightly fitted
Set up pool and check for level. (put 2 inches of water in the pool and check for level
Should I use patio blocks under the legs for added support? (if so, do I install level with the ground?)
Back fill with mulch to hide all the foam and legs

Am I on the right track at least? As always, suggestions are encouraged to avoid mistakes.

Thanks,

-Chris

Hi folks,

First off, thanks for being the best group of pool enthusiasts around. So much knowledge in these forums that help out so much.

Ok, so we finally bought a house and I'm ready to install a 15' Intex metal frame pool. We've had this pool for three years now, and it's still working great for us. I've put this pool up at two different locations, but it has been un-level both times. This time, I'm going to start early and take my time to do things right. Here is my game plan, so help me out:

Call to get utilities marked
Rent a sod cutter and take out about 4-6 inches to get down to hard ground
Use a level to get the ground completely level (transit level maybe? Has anyone used one for this?)
Get 1 inch extruded foam and make a 16' X 16' square. I plan to use gorilla tape to make sure it is tightly fitted
Set up pool and check for level. (put 2 inches of water in the pool and check for level
Should I use patio blocks under the legs for added support? (if so, do I install level with the ground?)
Back fill with mulch to hide all the foam and legs

Am I on the right track at least? As always, suggestions are encouraged to avoid mistakes.

Thanks,

-Chris

Thank you for the kudos!

Sod cutter -- Excellent idea. should help with most root problems down the road.

Leveling -- Cheapest is a length of clear poly tube filled most of the way with water. Next is the 2x4 and 4ft level. Or you can rent a laser level. All three methods would be good enough.

Extruded foam -- This will go a long way to keeping a good flat base for your pool.

Patio blocks -- Yes. Top of the blocks should be level with the top of your extruded foam.

All in all, yes, you are on the right track for a semi-permanent install.

Good luck! And pease do post pics of your progress, you know how we thrive on those, even for an Intex install!

Thanks Charlie.

For the patio blocks, should I just use 1' X 1' cement pavers? Is there an easy way to dig and install these? It sounds like a pain in the rear to dig all of these correctly. Last year I think the pool legs sat on the foam, so should I cut the foam to accommodate these?

Anybody ever used pavers with the pink extruded foam?

I have pavers but no foam. I'm pretty sure they're the 12" just plain grey squares. Once the ground was level we just placed the pavers flat on the dirt. We used sand though so the pavers are on the dirt and the sand is in the middle. I didn't know about this forum back then.

It would be awesome to have foam! Our pool bottom has all sorts divots and crevices in it. All lovely places for stuff to gather in but there's no way I'm taking it down again! lol

It's also been quite a few years since we did it and I can't even see most of the pavers. I don't think they have sunken or anything because the pool is still level. It's just that we had to dig quite a bit and never finished the edges so it's washed out and covered most of the pavers...on the side we didn't have to dig they're kinda covered with grass.

Been thinking about making it "prettier" this year with some sort of border...we'll see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.