Losing water

rlefig

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Reading, MA
First time with this pool looks like I am losing 1/2 inch of water per day. It is a new filter and no leaks around there no air in jets or basket it is a gunite pool with missing tiles and such.

Ideas?

Thanks

Thanks I will look at it. More info is I am at 5-7 psi on gauge and over the winter I never lost water and when it was unplugged I did not seem to lose any. I never drop below the skimmer or jets

hi, I am performing the bucket test now. I have all pool equipment turned off and have a bucket on the first step. I marked the inside of the bucket and marked the outside as well. I also marked the grout line on the pool to see what water loss I experience with nothing on.

If this helps I was recently getting a lot of air out of 1 jet. It was strange because I had not seen that before. When looking in the skimmer basket it was clogged with leaves. Once I removed the leaves the air bubbles stopped. Not sure if that means anything but...

Any help will be greatly appreciated. It is an old gunite pool that I have no experience with. It does have a 4 foot concrete deck around the pool.

thanks

bucket test results

Merged to keep the story together. Thanks, jblizzle

So I did the bucket test and there was no water loss, or non measurable out of the bucket. But on the pool I lost about 1 1/2 inches in that 24 hour period. I had no equipment running. This amount of water loss seems similar to what I have when pump was running but I have not really tested that yet.

I had two rubber plugs and plugged both jets. I have marked the new water line to see if it leaks anymore.

I will totally need help trying to figure out this one.

thanks

rob

Re: bucket test results

So with both jets plugged I lost 3/4 inch in 12 hours about the same rate as before the water level is just below skimmer now. I am going to plug skimmer and refill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
An update on water loss. In a 12 hour period I lost only 1/4 inch tops right now it is sitting right at bottom of skimmer and bottom of tile line. I am going to clean up the inside of skimmer housing. I also lost all of my water inside of skimmer as well. Could that indicate a problem with bottom of skimmer or suction plumbing?

Please help with next steps thanks

Your leak is almost 98% to be at the same level as when your water loss stopped.....in other words, the bottom of the skimmer.

Check that level carefully all around the pool. If you do not find your leak, you'll need to call in a professional to locate and fix it.

Your leak is almost 98% to be at the same level as when your water loss stopped.....in other words, the bottom of the skimmer.

Check that level carefully all around the pool. If you do not find your leak, you'll need to call in a professional to locate and fix it.

Thanks Duraleigh, what about the skimmer losing all its water lower than the mouth of the skimmer, like in the basket area?

Also a week ago when the skimmer basket at the pool was clogged with leaves I seemed to be sucking in air as one of the jets was blowing it out consistently. Just seemed strange

Well, that may not be good. If the water drains from the skimmer, it indicates the leak is down inside the skimmer body or the pipes going back to the pump.

A cracked skimmer body is the most common problem of those two. I would inspect that skimmer body as well as I could.

If you can find a crack in the skimmer body, you may be able to patch it with epoxy. You may also have to call in a pro.......it just depends on where that leak is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.