Faulty gauge or something worse?

Hey everyone. I need some help with a gauge issue. My gauge usually reads right around 20. I noticed yesterday that it was reading close to 0. I turned the pump off. The water level looked to be fine, but I went ahead and added some to the pool just to be on the safe side. Then I opened the bleed valve on top of the pump (with it running) until water came out and then tightened it back up. The gauge rose some, to about 10, but that was it. It was in the evening and since I'm a newbie and didn't want to risk anything, I just went ahead and turned it off. Today when we looked it was reading around 15, so higher than yesterday, but still lower than normal. I'm at work right now, so I told my husband to just turn it off again. I've been looking on here and read that it can be caused by a clogged suction line or pump impeller. How will I know if it's a faulty gauge vs. a clogged line?

I realize this is probably not a big deal, but since I'm so new to the pool ownership this feels over my head. So my two questions:

-1-is this something that I can safely fool around with and trouble shoot or should I just bite the bullet and have someone come out to look at it?

-2-For the next couple of days I'll be home alone in the morning with my young kids (who are not old enough yet to entertain themselves while I spend an hour working on this) and then have to leave around lunch time and work until late at night. So it's possible I might not be able to fully address this issue for a few days. As long as the gauge is reading above 0, is it okay to go ahead and let the pump run during its normal scheduled time? I'm just worried about the risk of doing damage to the pump.

I had a similar problem with my pool a couple of weeks ago. It turns out that some leaf stems from a mesquite tree made its way through the strainer basket and got caught on the pump impeller. Easy fix though. Turn off the pump. Turn off the pump breaker. (I go overboard for safety) Remove the strainer basket and reach into the impeller and remove any debris that you can feel. I had to have my wife do it because my hand doesn't fit. Put it all back together and turn the pump back on and that did it for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.