Another water flow problem

Oct 24, 2011
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

I'm having a similar problem. The backwash pressure was normal the last time I checked it but now I don't have enough flow to establish a prime. It got harder and harder (over a short period of time) to establish a prime and then it was gone. I tried cleaning the impellers and had no success. I don't know if there is blockage in the pipes between pool and filter or if the pump is going. The pump sounds like its trying to work and a friend who should know engines says it sounds okay to him, so I'm flummoxed. Any ideas would be appreciated....

What is your normal clean filter pressure?

What was the filter pressure when you started having issues?

Have you checked all valves to make sure they are in the proper position (open) for priming?

Any significant events that happened right before this all started?

What is your normal clean filter pressure?
>> Normal, can't remember details.

What was the filter pressure when you started having issues?
>>Same to my recollection; it happened in early winter.

Have you checked all valves to make sure they are in the proper position (open) for priming?
>>It's an old pool the valves are in the position they have always been in for priming.

Any significant events that happened right before this all started?[/QUOTE]
>>In addition to the priming problem, there were a lot of leaves in the fall and clogging is possible, if the skimmer basket was out of place.

I should have asked this before but did you back flush the suction line?

You can do that with a hose inserted into the pipe that comes into the pump basket. Remove the skimmer basket and the pump basket. Wrap the hose with a rag and seal it in the suction pipe (pump side). Turn on the water and flush the debris backwards out of the skimmer.

Yes, we tried that in the fall and I tried it again today. the water pushes itself back out the suction pipe (pump side). I understand that you can try blowing compressed air into the system. Is that the next step?

Did we ever learn any details about your setup? I am not sure if it is above ground or in ground or what type of pump and filter you have ...

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The clog is just stubborn so maybe you need a drain king which you can get at the hardware store.

GT-Water-Products-H34-rw-173776-246236.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.