Liner Leaking

That's a nice liner! Keep us posted on your progress.

The liner is a lot darker than the current one, but it's probably faded a lot.

This is a picture of the bottom rail at one of the leaks. I checked it with a screwdriver and the outside part of rail is rusted through. The corroded spot is about 4" long. How concerned should I be about it? I think this is a Garden Leisure pool according to old literature left by the previous owner. I dont know what model.

Russ

Rail.jpg

The thing with replacing that is this...

Once you take the wall down, which you'll have to do to replace that if you find a new piece, you are going to find more issues and problematic spots. It's like remodeling a home... what's behind that wall and is it going to cost me big time?! Personally, that one spot doesn't look as if it's going to destroy the integrity of the pool. How does the rest of the bottom track look? If it's rusting through and disintegrating in other areas that worry you about it's stability to hold 23k gallons of water, then you should consider a replacement. How old is the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The thing with replacing that is this...

Once you take the wall down, which you'll have to do to replace that if you find a new piece, you are going to find more issues and problematic spots. It's like remodeling a home... what's behind that wall and is it going to cost me big time?! Personally, that one spot doesn't look as if it's going to destroy the integrity of the pool. How does the rest of the bottom track look? If it's rusting through and disintegrating in other areas that worry you about it's stability to hold 23k gallons of water, then you should consider a replacement. How old is the pool?

The pool is 7 to 9 years old. This is one reason I want to replace the liner, to see what is going on behind it. The rest of the rail that I can see looks good as does the whole of the shell. It sounds solid when I tap around on it with a screwdriver handle. We'll see when the liner comes out.

We got in the pool again last night and the bottom varies about 4" in depth from the center to the perimeter with the center being shallower. I measured around the pool from the top of the water up to the bottom of the coping and only had about 1/2" variance around the pool, so the depth change must be due to the uneven bottom.

Russ

I would say that you probably do want to replace that bottom rail ... but if you can find a replacement I would check the price, and the shipping ... and how much the shipping would be if you ordered 1, 2, 3 etc ... most likely when you take down this pool you may find that you need to replace more than just one, so I would wait and see what you are dealing with before you order one without seeing the condition of the rest.

Well the new liner is in and the pool is refilled. The pool shell appeared to be in pretty good shape. The water chemistry is almost back in line but we have'nt gotten in the pool yet. However, it looks like there are a lot of wrinkles in the liner on the bottom of the pool. I'll have a better idea after I get in the pool, but when I ran the vacuum, I can feel it hitting the wrinkles and can see quite a few from outside the pool. The walls dont appear to be wrinkled.

Russ

PoolAfter.jpg

Did you do it yourself? Wrinkles, although unsightly at times, are all cosmetic and pose no real issues. I have some too. They do collect dirt an stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.