Big Cartridge Filter Advice

scratchedup

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2013
Fayetteville, GA
So admitting my mistake of too small of a filter I'm asking for help on what brand to buy. The 400 square foot range is what I'm looking at probably Ebay or Amazon.
There appears to basically Pentair, Hayward and Sta-Rite.

Any advice on the quality...long term life and cartridge replacement cost?

Ex.

THX

I bought a C3030 from these guys a couple of months ago. They have a Pentair of roughly the same size for the same cost. I don't think the brand matters, although I have read negative reviews of the Sta-Rite System 3.

Cartridges should last for years, and to replace the set of four will be in the range of about $150-$200.

When you say that your admitting my mistake of too small of a filter, what do you mean exactly? What happened? I see you have a 26K gallon pool and are getting a 425 sq ft. filter, why so big?

I need a new filter, I have a 42K gallon pool and was told by a pool guy that I could make do with a 320 sq ft. filter if I'm willing it to clean it more often. I'm skeptical of this claim so I'm curious as to your experience.

I see you have a 26K gallon pool and are getting a 425 sq ft. filter, why so big?

I need a new filter, I have a 42K gallon pool and was told by a pool guy that I could make do with a 320 sq ft. filter if I'm willing it to clean it more often. I'm skeptical of this claim so I'm curious as to your experience.

He actually is getting a 4.9 sq. ft. sand filter for his 26,000 gallon pool. That is an appropriate size. The MINIMUM size that he should have gotten for his pool if he got a cartridge filter would be something in the 200-300 sq. ft. range, but a 425 sq. ft. filter is better because it will not need cleaning as often.

The MINIMUM size for your pool, Hound Dog, is around 320 sq. ft., but if I was getting a filter for that large of a pool i would get something like a 520 sq. ft. cartridge - because I would not want to clean it very often. See the table under filter sizing in Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head? For cartridge filters and DE filters, most people recommend going up a size or two filter from what is in that table.

I will reply more in-depth tomorrow...
trusted a "pool Florida guy" on sizing w/ no research.....seems I have also learn my pool is surrounded by debris dropping trees.

My cartridge gets FILTHY once a week....and although I kind of getting the hang of cleaning it is just a big job and difficult to get all the seeds and junk out.

Lesson learned $280 cartridge is going on my pool feature....:D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"I will reply more in-depth tomorrow...
trusted a "pool Florida guy" on sizing w/ no research....."

I have a lot of hobbies and can not be expert on everything...we all just don't have the time. At some point we have to go on the advice others....experts in their field.

Well I thought I did this ...Poolmotorcorp- Jared.... turns out IMO to be a Flake...so sad.

I had him (Jared) repeat the words "the 1200 Hayward cartridge filter is big enough" He did and re-assured me it was.....

NOT

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.