Our second build in East Texas

tcm

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 12, 2011
Brookeland, Texas
We have missed our pool ever since we sold our house two years ago, finally about to build at our new place. When we built the first pool we were both on the fence in decided if we would enjoy having to care for a pool, but luckily I stumbled upon this forum during construction. Thanks to all the help and advice here we were able really enjoy our pool. Below are renderings of the new pool build about to start, looking forward to another Trouble Free Pool :)

Pool1.jpg

Pool2.jpg

But, but, I see a need for more decking to make room for a table and chairs.

And, are we going to worry about rain falling into the pool from the roof?

And, what is the view out those windows? Maybe the waterfall can be placed so that when you are inside you see the waterfall from the main sitting areas.

I do agree it needs more decking but I'm kind of limited do to utility easements. Roof has gutters and down spout is on the corner away from the pool. That area with the windows is actually a breakfast eating area in the kitchen, you cant see it on the photo but there are also windows on the other wall to view waterfall from inside the house, which also looks out on the fairway of the golf course.

We are thinking about building our second pool after moving two years ago, as well. Of course, you are in hot Texas and we are in Massachusetts (where we awoke to a coating of snow this morning!). Curious, is there anything you will do differently this time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we are doing a few things differently.

1: Our first pool was huge 24' x 48' somewhere in the ballpark of 50k gals. That was a lot of water to keep balanced. This one will be considerably smaller.

2: Going with the more reputable builder this time as we opted for the cheapest bid last time and were very disappointed with their performance.

3: I am going to have extra jets put in the spa with deeper seats. The last one only had one jet per seat and it was too low to reach your shoulders.

4: The waterfall feature is something we opted against last time to save money.

5: Using a Pebble Tec finish this time over the sparkle quarts in the previous pool, we were very unhappy with the sparkle quartz, actual product was no where near the sample we were sold on, also they over exposed the aggregate in several spots when they acid washed it and appeared like stains when it was full of water. Got the run around from the PB and the Sparkle Quartz rep and finally gave trying to get the to fix it.
6: 400k Btu heater vs 200k on the last pool.

I do agree it needs more decking but I'm kind of limited do to utility easements. Roof has gutters and down spout is on the corner away from the pool. That area with the windows is actually a breakfast eating area in the kitchen, you cant see it on the photo but there are also windows on the other wall to view waterfall from inside the house, which also looks out on the fairway of the golf course.

Yes, the view to the golf course is important to preserve. And the view of the pool will cheer you up every day of the year. You may be able to use non-permanent decking in utility easement areas, either pave stone that can be removed as needed or wooden decking, not sure of the rules where you are. Just beware of critters getting under a deck.... was learning to live with the raccoon family until the skunk moved in.

Maybe the spa under the roof could be gotten used to, seems strange at first but maybe it'd be great. Still think I'd want to move the spa out to one side or the other and keep that patio for the table and chairs. Maybe even screen it in, if mosquitoes are bad there, though maybe the golf course sprays.

The more I look at it the more I think your right. I am going to get with the PB today and see if they can move everything straight out away from the house some to give me more decking. Not sure if it will be possible though because the yard slopes away pretty good. But it would be nice to have more decking. When I originally came up with the design I was thinking more in the line of having some shade while in the spa in the summer time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, here is the new update as per anonapersona's suggestion. Thought about the infinity edge too, but decided to stay with this plan. We are kind of already topping our budget. I appreciate all the input please keep it coming.

Pool_003.jpg
Pool_004.jpg
Pool_005.jpg

We too had an ideal lot/setting for an infinity edge but it wasn't meant to be. I do like the stone on the back exposed wall. We just sloped the dirt away and called it a day.

It will be a nice extra seating area. Kids will congregate there I'm sure.

Tcm - love the design. My only suggestion would be similar to anonapersona - push the spa closer to the rock waterfall so give you more patio space and so that your support post isn't part of the spa - you may want to expand your patio cover at some point and you would have a heck of a time getting that post out or disguising it.

I don't like how that support post is tied in personally. I too would move the spa closer to the rock falls.

Thanks for the suggestions, we are going to tweak it some more to get the post off of the spa. I think readyforpool is right it would be hard to ever do anything with later if I changed my mind. Digging starts tomorrow.
What are your thoughts about lighting? I am thinking about going with more expensive led lighting, I like the way you can set it too different colors. Wondering what some of you might have experienced with these as I have only seem them on Internet photos.

Love, love, love our LED color-changing lights. They are way cool...can't underestimate the fun factor. It was the most surprising aspect of our pool build. We have two in an 18x38' rectangle pool. You would need at least two if not three in your pool, plus the spa. Just remember to locate any lights so they face away from the house to eliminate glare when viewed from that direction. Also, it would be nice to not see the glare when in the spa. Ours are the Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 variety. I'm sure the Pentair are at least their equal.

That's good to hear. I think I will enjoy them too. My signature is from our last pool which was huge, this one is only 14x28' and will be Hayward equipment also. We are still going to put two in the pool and one in the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.