Rust sediment due to high chlorination

Iwilk

Jun 18, 2013
Louisville, KY
Late last year I had to slam my pool due to algae. I caught it early but I know I kept my pool above shock level for too long because I started getting burnt orange spots in the bottom of my pool. I would always add the chlorine in the morning before work but take it higher than my shock level since I had to work all day and couldn't add anymore until evening. For the first couple of weeks I thought my green algae turned into the mustard algae so I kept slamming my pool HARD. I finally realized, after passing the OCLT test, that my green algae was gone and the orange sediment was more than likely rust sediment. This happened late last summer. I was having to vacuum everyday due to the sediment but it did start to get a lot better before I closed the pool. Now I'm just wondering what my pool is going to look like when I open this year. I know it has to due with the high chlorination and not a problem from my fill water because I've had a pool over the last 6 years and never had this to happen before. I just hate that it didn't completely clear up before I closed.

If I have this sediment in my pool at opening should I vacuum to waste instead of filter? I have never vacuumed to waste before. Mabye this would help get it all out faster? I'm planning for the worst but hoping for the best. I added a link to the thread from last year regarding this. Hopefully I did it right. Thanks in advance!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/66683-Thought-is-was-algae-but-now-think-it-s-rust

If rust precipitated, it would be because there was iron in the water, which precipitated due to the high FC levels. From your description it sounds like you might have had iron in the water a just below the levels that will normally cause stains. If you can vacuum any of that orange precipitate to waste that would be great, as you don't want any iron in the water (if at all possible).

If there are orange stains that don't vacuum up, you should be able to remove them locally by putting a Vitamin C tablet on a stained spot until the vitamin C dissolves. If they are everywhere, you will need to do a full AA treatment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.