Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: fixing a leak in pipe where SWG was installed

1. Back To Top    #1

fixing a leak in pipe where SWG was installed

Hi,

I just noticed a leak at the seal between the flexible pipe and pvc where the SWG was plumbed into our setup.

From what I've read here, I can fix it by dipping some string in 2 part epoxy and wrapping around the joint.

Is this the best solution or should I really get the PB out to fix the problem? It was installed at the end of April this year.

I plan on turning the pump off tonight and drying the area before attempting the repair.

I've attached a picture (hopefully), the leak is clearly visible as a spurt of water coming down at a 45 degree angle from the joint.

Thanks,

Alison
    Attached Images Attached Images
    58500 l inground fiberglass pool, hayward (pump, sand filter and H series propane heater), Swimpure + SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: fixing a leak in pipe where SWG was installed

I would have the PB out to fix that.
    14100 gallon IG Gunite Pool
    Sapphire Smoke Quartz Plaster
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    Legend Platinum Cleaner with booster pump
    My Pool Build

3. Back To Top    #3

If it's leaking just two month after install, whomever installed it should fix it for free.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Ugh! That is the ugliest looking pipe join I've ever seen. You definitely should have the installer back.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tphaggerty
    Ugh! That is the ugliest looking pipe join I've ever seen. You definitely should have the installer back.

The problem is that they left the flex pipe too long! ... Well, that and the fact that they don't know how to plumb nor glue properly
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I do not understand why they used a flex pipe to start with, unless that was the easier and cheaper way. If the builder will not fix for free, which they should, then it looks to be an easy fix.
    lartay

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Quote Originally Posted by tphaggerty

The problem is that they left the flex pipe too long! ... Well, that and the fact that they don't know how to plumb nor glue properly

Yes, and yes. That needs to be re-plumbed from the union back.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

8. Back To Top    #8

Flex pipe should be perfectly straight comming down from the elbow, get who installed out there to fix it for free, and tell them not to send the guy who put it in
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner