fiberglass blister/bumps

Apr 16, 2014
Midwest
Hi

We have a vinyl pool with fiberglass steps. The steps have raised bumps that are discoloring - I think probably some hairline cracks in the bumps/blisters. I've read a little bit about blistering in fiberglass and have decided to not to anything major to these steps but was trying to come up with some way to make them less noticeable for at least a few years. Does anyone have any opinion on using something like this - not to cover the whole steps but just to cover the worst of the discoloration (nickel to quarter sized spots here and there) and possible keep them from getting darker or more pronounced -

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=106

I'd essentially be using very little of the stuff - just in the hopes of slowing down the degradation and hiding some of the ugliness for a few years. I realize that it's not a permanent fix.

Hi,

This may be due to the wear and tear of the original gel coating. The gelcoating is blistering or delaminating.This product may work to fix the appearance, however, I would try to figure out if you still have a warranty and if it covers blistering or bumps. The fiberglass may have a long enough warranty to get this repaired.

Unfortunately, poolmstr, I believe this pool is right about 25 years old. Sure would be nice to have a warranty that long! ;)

The steps are also set in the concrete decking and would cost a pretty penny to remove and replace, especially given that there seems to be no structural issues with them.

I know this stuff won't last - but may give it a shot just to cover these spots and see what happens. I guess the worse that could happen is it peels/flakes off...can't imagine that it would look worse than the brown spots that are there now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.