New to the site

egadds

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2014
louisville,ky
Hello,
I am new to this site ran across it googling the synergy pool care system. Site looks awesome for pool knowledge which I lack by the way. I just put my pool a few years ago. I had not owned one prior. Very confusing to say the least for a new owner with very little pool knowledge to say the least. I have been flying by the seat of my pants. Luckily with no big hassle or issue with my pool. I wanted to start with the basics obviously. The test kit and chemicals. I currently do my pool maint on Mondays. Filling my chlorinator with 3" tabs. Mixing two 1# bags of shock in 5gal of hot water. Then the recommended amount of aglaecide weekly also. I use the Dohenys products. My pool is 18x36 inground. I do not test my water with a kit just strips. As long as it stays clear and doesn't burn my kids up I have figured was good. Anyway, I figured it was time to become a more knowledgeable owner and maybe save some coin in the process. So any info would be appreciated. Thanks for having me...:)

Welcome! Start off by reading Pool School which can be found in the top right hand corner. There is a ton of valuable information there to get you started on a becoming more knowledgeable on Pool Maintenance. If you haven't already you need to get a reliable test kit and here is a chart to make that decision Test Kit Comparison. After your test kit comes in you can test and post your results to get a better idea of where your pool stands. From experience strips are inaccurate and often times leads to putting unnecessary or inaccurate amount of chemicals in the pool.

Again welcome

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

My predictions:
- Your stabilizer (CYA) is off the charts high due to continued use of tablets and powders. (This will require replacing a lot of your water)
- Your chlorine level (FC) is too low for your CYA level.
- The algaecide (which is not needed if adequate FC is maintained) is currently barely keeping the algae at bay
- Unless you change your methods, your pool WILL turn green with algae by the end of the summer.

I agree with the above, invest in one of the recommended test kits and take control of your pool. A little learning will save you a LOT of money on pool maintenance.

Welcome, I think many of us were in your shoes at one point or another, also many of us have seen how much easier and cheaper it is to maintain our pools using the methods taught here, and we have also became much more critical on our water quality, instead of just accepting, good enough. I know personally since switching I get a lot more comments about my pool water, like how do you keep it so clear, or why is there no chlorine smell, or wow it does not burn my eyes, ....

Also What they said

Ike

p.s. Jason do you have that paragraph bookmarked and ready to paste in this time of year?

Welcome to TFP !
Not much I can add as you have gotten good advice from those above.
Read in Pool School as much as you can. There are thousands of people here that follow the methods taught here with great success. Take a look at the testimonials.
Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask. The forum is pretty good at quick replies.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:
Do I need any of the optional kit tests?
I would suggest the salt strips, even if you do not have a SWG pool. I use these once a month. Since all forms of chlorine add some salt to the pool, I like to have some idea of the pool's salt level. No need to get the borate strips unless you have a need to add borates to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I opened my pool today and tested water with my new tester TF100 & speedstir. Would definitely recommend if you don't have. I haven't added anything since pool closing kit I got from Dohenys last fall.
Here my numbers FC 3.5, CC 1, Calcium Hardness 225ppm, TA 100 and CYA 25.
Remember I'm new to this so you might have to use small words...:)
Thanks

If your water is clear an no sign of algae, bring your FC up to SLAM level for your CYA level. That would take care of the CC of 1. Otherwise if you have algae you'll have to follow the SLAM process.
Your SLAM level is 12

If you have visible algae you'll need to follow the SLAM process. You didn't give a PH result, so your PH needs to be in the lower 7's to start the SLAM. If it's not there lower it first with acid and then start the SLAM.
Make sure to read the SLAM process and follow it to the T. If your water is clear like you said it should go fairly quick. If you can post a pic do so.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Read up in pool school! Every spare chance you get, reread it! :goodjob: You're going to love your new TFP pool!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.