new pool, need everything

Mar 30, 2014
Brunswick, GA
I just got a new semi inground pool and I'm looking for some advice on pumps/filters. I am a total newbie and have no clue on what I should get. I have read through some posts here and it seems like dual speed is the way to go. I've been looking at the Pentair 1hp Superflo 340042 but I'm not sure if I even need 1hp.

My pool is 15x24' 52" deep and listed at 8,500 gallons. I haven't started setting up anything yet so it's really a blank slate. I'm in the process of installing a subpanel to power all of our outdoor stuff and that's as far as I've got.

Can anyone help me with the optimum setup for my pool size? I'll hard pipe it, run whatever power I need to.. just need some advice! I'm open to whatever filter types you suggest.. I'm not set on one in particular.

If the pump will be below the water surface, and the equipment nearby, you can get an AG pump like the 1HP Powerflo Matrix 2-speed ... many members like them. Note that the HP does not offer the full story and that this pump is smaller than the 1HP Superflo you mentioned.

What kind of filter do you want? It is personal preference. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/160-pool-filter-comparison
Look for at least these sizes:
120 sqft cartridge
17" sand
23 sqft DE

I'll second the Powerflo Matrix 1 hp 2 speed. I have one and it's plenty of pump for my pool. I run on low speed 95% of the time.
The type of filter is your choice as they are all up to the job. Everybody has there own preference when it comes to type of filter.

The pump will be above ground, the pool will be buried. I've been leaning towards cartridge filters, but I'm not completely sold on any 1. A friend has tried to talk me out of them because of their experience with cartridges vs sand, but I'm starting to think maybe they were undersized.

- - - Updated - - -

I see in your signature you have that pentair, jblizzle. Your pool is much larger though.. so am I thinking too big or would it matter? Just takes less time to turn less water?

You said the pool was partially buried, so I though the pump may still be below the pool water level.

For in-ground pumps, you can not really get much smaller than the 1HP Superflo 2-speed that I have. They claim to have a 3/4HP that runs on 115V, but it is very hard to find and more expensive than the 1HP which is 230V.

Turn over if meaningless, but you are right, you would not likely need to run the pump longer than me. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time

One minor thought would be with a basic low head setup like I think you have is the Superflo 1HP may put out a flow rate higher than would normally be recommended for a 120 sqft cartridge. So, you might consider a slightly large filter ... and then I would not be surprised if you only had to clean it once a year (assuming you never let algae start).

I don't have anything to add other than I agree with the above advice. Most people will be happy with the results from any of the 3 major types of filters (Sand, DE, or Cartridge) if sized right. Sand and DE may be poor choices for some people, as they both require considerable waste of water for backwashing which may be an issue in areas with water use restrictions, also some areas may have environmental restrictions of discharge of DE into sewers and storm drains (either for sensitive discharge environment issue, or waste water processing plant issues)

That would be fine. The 120 would work, but not filter quite as well due the higher flow through it. Not sure what the price difference is ... You can not go too big for a cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.