I need HELP! (different issue)

Apr 30, 2008
So if nothing else could go wrong, my light went out. I took it out of the pool, opened it (definitly burned out), changed the bulb, turned it on for a test and NOTHING! Circuit breaker is on, gfic is not tripped. Any ideas (other than it being a 2nd bad bulb.) Thanks!

stagecrewgod said:
So if nothing else could go wrong, my light went out. I took it out of the pool, opened it (definitly burned out), changed the bulb, turned it on for a test and NOTHING! Circuit breaker is on, gfic is not tripped. Any ideas (other than it being a 2nd bad bulb.) Thanks!

If you turned the light on with the new bulb out of the pool, I wouldn't do that again. The lights are water cooled. I saw the results once of turning it on out of the water. Not a pretty sight.

For most pool lights there is a junction box where power comes in from the breaker or switch and then goes to the pool light. If you have a voltmeter you can test the power coming into the box. If there is power coming into the box you either have another bad bulb or the fixture itself is going to have to be replaced.

Probing voltage at various places is a good place to start and is non intrusive to the circuit but you need to be careful while doing this.

You may also consider doing a continuity test. To do this safely you MUST disconnect both the HOT and the NEUTRAL from the source, usually the pool panel. You will need a multi meter for this test. This test will tell you if you have a complete circuit out to the lamp and back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.