When do i start adding CYA

Mar 20, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I am just finishing the start-up oF my brand new pebblesheen pool, day 6 of 7, adding 1 pt of Muriatic Acid a day, 2-3"tabs in a floater and adding my chlorine each day. I have been having small reading of 2-3 ppm of FC but yesterday i got home and there was none. Last night i accidently added too much as the levels were too high (i can't remember off the top of my head what they were this morning) I hope most will burn up today in the sun since i do not have any CYA other than what is in the tabs. I am using the good test kit recommended here, not just the fast kit.
any suggestions. I do not have any instructions from plaster company other than the 1pt of muriatic Acid for 7 days, 2 tabs in a floater and add the CYA slowly over a few weeks.

new pool owner

I think you could have added the CYA a few days after the pool was filled. I would add about 30ppm in a sock and put it in the skimmer (with pump running 24/7) or hang it in front of a return jet. Of course you will have to stop using the trichlor tablets very soon.

Thank you, i i put it in a sock in the skimmer, do i run the pump on los for 24/4 at 450rpm (i think that is the lowest) i still do not know how to operate the pump, the plumber programmed it for me at it uns 10 hous a day in the morning to clean the pool, and i use the quick clean function when i add the acid and chloring at night (about 10 minutes apart, which means i run the quick clean 2x.

Also, this may be a sliiy question, but what kind of sock? I am a single mom with no tube socks lying around.

thanks

I would not run the pump below 1000 rpm ... it actually becomes less efficient at those lower speeds. Well, actually since you are running 24/7 then running at lower speeds would be fine. When you start to try to determine pump run time, I would not go below 1000rpm.

Yeah according to most plaster startup procedures you can start adding chlorine/cya after 48hrs of being filled , can take up to a week for the cya to register so don't overdo it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was going to ask this same question. we have pebble tec surface, and no one ever told us to add acid every day for a week. I've added acid once when the ph was high, but the TA was so low it didn't need much. Since then I've raised TA to 80.

Anyway, I've been using the pucks for a month now, until I got my taylor 2006 kit so I could measure CYA. Did that last night at dusk, and with that test, the more solution you have to add to obscure the dot, the lower the CYA. I was all the way at the top at the 30ppm line and even in low light, I could just about see the dot. I fugure another puck or 2 will put me around 40, and then I can switch to bleach....?

A friend of mine gave me a gallon of instant conditioner by natural chemistry. Can I start my stabilization with this then switch to the powder or should I stick with the liquid? Says equivalent to 30% cya. Pool calculator says to add 1gallon, 2 cups. I was thinking to add 1 gallon and the check again in a week.
Also, still can't figure out how to work the pump, I only can operate the quick clean function and it is set for a 10hr cleaning cycle in the morning. I was thinking of adding the liquid cya in the morning, so it can circulate for the 10 hours.
Thank you again for your time.

Did you find the manual online? Our pump has a timers menu to set how long on what speeds, but also has some settings behind the configuration menu, which is "locked", but just requires holding the left and right arrows for 5 seconds. It's a hayward, not pentair, but it's probably similar if not too old

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.