new here...getting 16x32 inground..question about chlorine

suzook

Apr 15, 2014
Stony Brook, NY
My pb is suggesting the frog system, which I see everyone here hates. So ultimately, im thinking just having a puck feeder put in at first. I figure I could maybe add a stenner or liquidator at a later time. Just wondering what anyone's thoughts are? Btw, he is suggesting a vs pump, so it seems a liquidator wont work well. Are vs pumps worth the extra money?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yeah, that is a bit high for a SWG. The SWG should be available under $1000 plus << $100 for salt. And the install is very straightforward when starting from scratch. Although it is pretty easy to retrofit in as well if you just tell him to leave longer sections of straight pipe.

How high is your electricity cost? Might make more sense for a small 2-speed pump.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yeah, that is a bit high for a SWG. The SWG should be available under $1000 plus << $100 for salt. And the install is very straightforward when starting from scratch. Although it is pretty easy to retrofit in as well if you just tell him to leave longer sections of straight pipe.

How high is your electricity cost? Might make more sense for a small 2-speed pump.

We have the 2nd or 3rd highest el rates in the country. The local el company is offering rebate on vs. So it is only costing me additional $150 after rebate. Maybe i should see if i can negotiate dumping the frog, and going with swg for an additional $1k. Thoughts? Im thinking maybe 3 year recoup in chlorine savings???

You have to be aware of what the pucks add. They add chlorine along with stabilizer (CYA). Every puck contains CYA. Once that CYA level gets out of range that's when the trouble can start. When the CYA level gets really high you can't keep your FC levels high enough for the CYA level and you have an algae out break. The only way to lower CYA is water replacement. They are also acidic and lower PH.
You can use pucks in the beginning, you just have to know when to stop using them. For a non SWG pool you want your CYA level to be 30-50 ppm. When you hit that range you'll need to switch over to liquid chlorine.
I like to suggest for someone new to manually add the stabilizer and use liquid chlorine from the start if your not using a SWG. It's easier that way. By the way for a SWG your CYA level is 70-80 ppm.

Depends .... as long as you understand the CYA/FC relationship and that the pucks are adding CYA continuously and building up, thus requiring higher levels of chlorine, then that is fine. With your shorter season and if you get a fair amount of rain, the pucks might work for you ... not necessarily cheaper in the long run.

For a SWG you have to spend a lot up front, but then very little for 3-5+ years until you need to replace the cell.
For bleach/pucks, you are paying less up front, but continuously.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Depends .... as long as you understand the CYA/FC relationship and that the pucks are adding CYA continuously and building up, thus requiring higher levels of chlorine, then that is fine. With your shorter season and if you get a fair amount of rain, the pucks might work for you ... not necessarily cheaper in the long run.

For a SWG you have to spend a lot up front, but then very little for 3-5+ years until you need to replace the cell.
For bleach/pucks, you are paying less up front, but continuously.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
I am gonna give that a look. From some of the reading i have done, It would cost me about $800 to purchase a good SWG online. My PB wants to charge me almost $2k additional. Sounds ridiculous since he is saving on not using the frog system. You think if I got him down to $1k additional that would be reasonable? Based on what I have read, SWG is a no brainer as far as set it, and forget it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good that you got him to come down and you ditched that frog!

Good that you got him to come down and you ditched that frog!

He said I would have no issues with the frog, but what I have read, it could have turned out to be a waste of $ in the long wrong, and possible issues also. My fiance was a bit against the SWG since its "the thing to do" around here. Most people around here think there is no chlorine in a SWG pool. Kind of comical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.