I need HELP!

Apr 30, 2008
So, I have an IG pool now. Pump, heater, filter, etc. all worked FINE for the last month or so. Clean the pool daily. BUT two days ago, EVERYTHING is going bad but I don't have money to pay $150 an hour plus parts for a service call. So PLEASE help. This is what I am working with.

Hayward H-300 Heater
Hayward(????) pump (there are NO valves or dials for backwash, waste, etc)
Salt system
Cart. Filter
Swimquip Skimmer

Now, here are the issues. We did some garden work around the pool. A LOT of debris got into the pool. I netted a lot of it out and vacuumed the rest. Usually with the vacuum, I can have 10-15 minutes of TOP suction then it drops down to NOTHING. Anyhow, cleaned the pool after SEVERAL tries.

First thing to happen is pressure gauge on filter cyl. stopped working. Dont know if it is broken or just have REALLY bad pressure. I think it is broken. Soon after, heater stopped working and pressure at the jets was REALLY bad. Finally after tinkering, the pressure came back and the heater worked (still nothing on the gauge). Worked for a day and during todays clean up, pressure went back to below normal, heater stopped working and suction at skimmer is minimal. My common sense (not the greatest at times but decent) leads me to believe there is a clog in the pipe from the skimmer to the pump. I have been told to "backwash" but do not know how (or if possible). I removed filters and cleaned them and removed skimmer and pump baskets and cleaned them.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

There is a snake you can get called Drain king(?) but I found it helpful to clear clogs snaking with a hose and the water running. If you do have a clog this should help. We found ours clog right before the pump and we found it easier to go from the pump back. Just make sure the debris is caught in the pump basket and do not let it get to the pump - that would be BAD!

Good luck!

Thank you for your help so far. Here is a little update. I pulled a couple of decent sized pepples from the skimmer suction (my hand is torn raw from being sucked in!). Anyhow, I figured while I got decent suction for a second, vacuum as much as I can. At this point in time, the heater still will not turn on. I attached the vacuum hose and SWOOSH! The heater lit up BUT it went out after 2 or 3 seconds. This is now making me think it is a pressure side issue and not a suction clogged like I thought (or at least not anymore since I got the pebbles out).

I did notice that the pressure gauge at the top of my filter is not 100% air tight. I am sure everyone will quote that and say that is the issue. It is probably 99% air tight. I put pipe tape on it and you have to put your ear on it to hear/feel the slight hiss of air. I will probably be a moron in saying this but that MINOR of an air leak can NOT be the cause of dropping probably 10 PSI of pressure in the lines. The gauge has been this for a long time and the system HAS worked while this little leak has been there. I am sure it is NOT helping the situation but I do NOT think it is the entire problem. Any ideas?

I have seen the drain king and will look into it if it is decided that it is a clog somewhere.

I have NO idea how to post pictures on here.

Just to check, is your pressure gauge working or not?

If the pressure drops on the gauge then there is something going on at or before the pump. If the pressure goes up, more than likely the filter is dirty. You don't backwash a cartridge filter.

The heater won't come on if there isn't enough flow through your system. The heater has a pressure switch that tells the heater when there is enough flow to turn on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Further update. I tinkered with the pressure switch. After basically disenaging it, it fires up but then after a few seconds, a weird sound and smoke start to come up. Obviously, I put the pressure switch back to about where it was before. This leads me back to it being a water pressure issue.

Suction line appears to be cleared of obstructions (unless it is in the underground piping). Pump is full of water and working. Filters are clean and air bled out. It then does into the heater. I am assuming there is a clog in one of the pipes.

I have looked into DRAIN KING and the sorts but because of the 90* corners, my water hose cant make it much less an attachment. I think the clog would be at the underground pipes. Also, I bled out all the air but 10 minutes or so later, there is a little air that needs to be bled out. AND, my systems seems to be pulsating. High pressure for a second, low pressure for a few seconds, high pressure for a second, etc. etc. etc. You can even see it if you let water out of the valve on the filter (Long stream for a second, small stream for a few seconds, etc.)..... God this is a mess!

The leaky air relief can be replaced but certainly not the cause of your problem. The pressure gauge would be helpful in figuring out what is going on.

The drain king isn't pushed through the pipe. It goes at the beginning of the pipe either at the skimmer or pump. When the water is turned on, it expands and blocks the pipe forcing the water through the pipe.

I would also check the impeller and make sure there is no debris wrapped around it. Shut off pump, open lid, remove basket and feel in the opening toward the motor. Push on the impeller to make sure it is still securely attached to the motor.

Okay, I got it fixed...... for now at least.

My suction at the skimmer has been bent in since I moved in. Pebbles and rocks would get lodged on the sides and would cause suction loss. After a few hours of trying to straighten it, I did. When I straightened it, I say a few large pebbles in the piping. I removed those and MY GOD pressure was higher than before we moved in! Needless to say, heater works now and everything seems to be fine. There is still some things I can see in the pipe but I can not reach it with my pliers. Any ideas? I dont want to push it through because it might clog the pipes further down....

Pressure gauge now reads 10psi.

Also, as seen in the picture, there is a SECOND opening at the skimmer. What is it for? Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00714.JPG
    DSC00714.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 263
The second opening is for the main drain. The fact that it's open indicates that your drain and skimmer share a line to the pump.

Is that a vacuum hose end in the pipe?

The "Vacuum Hose end" appears to be an vacuum adaptor. On the skimmer next to the suction port it says WHITE and next to the "Main Drain" port it says BLUE. My vacuum has a white end and blue end. Is there something behind this? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.