Weather forecast just changed. Uh Oh!!!

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
They were calling for a low of 28 for a couple hours overnight a few days ago. Other than that no where near freezing in the long range forecast. It just changed. We have a freeze warning overnight. Low of 22° now. I sure hope that pump keeps pumping. :shock: Maybe I opened a few days too early. We actually have flurries coming down now. :(

I know how you feel... I was working on the pool in only a pair of shorts on Saturday because it was too hot (80F) - I even got sunburned!

Last night it started snowing and this morning we had probably nearly an inch of snow! :-/

I just put the pump on constant but I'm not too concerned about it. :)

Look at the good side....you'll lose less chlorine when it's cold. :D Up by us (Steubenville) they're calling for temps in the 50's Wednesday. You'll be fine.

Everything should be fine, not sure you specifics but I would suspect 22 is the low at the worst, I would suspect it will drift down overnight and be below freezing for a few hours then be back up. I don't think it would be enough to freeze anything solid especially if your water is already warm.

Back in early March I would go out and check my skimmer and it would have some ice skimming on the water about the thickness of a piece of paper.

If your setup is at all like mine, 99% of the plumbing is well underground. In my particular case, the only real area of concern is my deck jets but even then 99% of those pipes are underground. PVC must have some insulating factor.

Well, I guess if I would read your signature I would know your specifics! :)

Let me put it this way:

I didn't bother to turn on my pumps until this morning around 5:30. No problem in starting them, at a temp of 28. It had been below freezing since around 11:30 last night.

It takes closer to a full day of below freezing temps to freeze the volume of water in 1-1/2" pipes even when fully exposed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.