Best advice for tiny bits

Apr 8, 2014
Louisiana
hey guys, my pool looks pretty good right now at a glance. But if you really inspect the water, there are tiny bits of this and that floating around. I"m talking about like 'specks' of stuff. I'm guessing its pieces of leaves but they don't seem to be filtering out.

is there a trick to get the tiny stuff?

will more things filter if I pin the door to the strainer down maybe?

Is this on the surface or mixed in with the water?

If it's on the surface, the last thing you want is to hold the weir down. The weir accelerates the movement of surface water into the skimmer. If your water level in the pool is too high, you can experience reduced skimming action too.

Often the solution to surface debris is to work with your returns to get them to guide things that are floating so they run along the pool wall where the skimmer is. Aim them close to the surface so they make a small ripple and direct them to move things around the pool so the skimmer has an opportunity to grab stuff that is floating.

You will never be able to get 100% of everything out of the water, but you can add some DE filter media to your sand filter to help catch the finer debris. DE comes in 20-25lb boxes so if you have a friend with a DE filter you may want to borrow some first and see if you like the results.

You add about a cup at a time of DE through the skimmer until you see a 1 point rise in pressure, and run the filter as normal. After back washing you will need to add DE again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.