Filter Unit Exchange Help

scratchedup

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2013
Fayetteville, GA
I have some other threads here on my re-do.

The system is functioning adequately but I need to address the filter size issue. It appears I had a mistake and did not consult TFP first but instead found a young guy through the internet in business in Florida. He sounded very knowledgable and helpful. I went with his recommendation and purchased a 2-speed pump motor and the Hayward 12002 (120 sq ft) cartridge filter. They are both installed and are working.

Every other source now tells me the filter is too small for a 26000 sq ft pool. The ROT of cleaning it when the PSI rises 10 PSI just seems not right to me. I cleaned it about a week and a half ago and it has been running a lot and the pressure is 10.5 PSI however when I do clean it it is filty, filty, filty...really dirty. I believe if I pulled it and cleaned it today it would again be filthy after only 1.5 weeks.

I would really like to exchange it for a bigger cartridge filter but I don't want to throw away the $300 I spent on this one and I believe the seller shares some responsibility as to the too small size and should credit me a decent amount for the returned filter...shipped back at my expense. (I still have the original box and packaging.)

My question is how do I phrase the conversation when the seller was pretty adamant about this filter coupled the Polaris is plenty adequate.... :confused:

We recommend you clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above the clean pressure. So if your clean is 8.5psi, you should clean when it gets to 10.5psi ... which may happen pretty often since the filter is so small. And will happen VERY fast if your pool is not clean to start with ... algae will be your nightmare.

For a 26k pool, I would have suggested a cartridge filter at least 360sqft or so.

As to how you phrase it, I have no idea. Tell them your experience thus far and that you think it is VERY undersized and that you want to exchange up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.