New Quad 100 filter - DE haze in pool/spa when pump starts up.

lalittle

Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I had a Pentair Quad 100 installed 2 weeks ago. Every time the pump comes on, I get a light cloud of DE at the return jets. It's particularly obvious at night with the pool lights on, where I can see a faint "cloud" in the pool itself. It primarily shows up, however, in the spa as an obvious haze, and I can see a bit on the floor of the spa after the water settles.

If I filter the spa for a while, it completely goes away, but once the pump has been off for an hour or so, the cloud/haze comes back again when the pump is turned on. I expect this to happen for a littlewhile after putting new DE in a filter, but after two weeks I'm starting to wonder. My previous filter -- a regular DE "grid" type filter -- only did this for a few days after replacing the DE. I never saw this behavior after two full weeks before.

Is this normal, or should I start looking for a problem, like a hole in one of the Quad cartridges? Are there any specific places I should look for a breech in the filter? Is it possible that the DE that the installers used was "finer" than the DE that I had previously used, and is pushing through the filter too easily? I always thought that all DE was pretty much the same.

Thanks for feedback on this,

Larry

I cleaned the filter and checked for any issues, but everything looked normal -- no signs of problems that I could see. After putting everything back together and adding the correct amount of DE (mixing with water in a bucket first just to make sure it would be evenly distributed on the cartridges), it's still doing the same thing. After it sits for a short period, I always get a puff of DE in the water when it starts up again. Is it normal for it to do this, and will it eventually stop? I just don't like that the water gets a bit cloudy every time I turn the filter on. It's not really noticeable in the pool (except at night, when you can see the cloud in front of the lights), but it's pretty obvious in the spa.

Thanks again,

Larry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.