New and looking for information about above ground pools

Welcome to TFP!

Best suggestion I could give you is take a look through the forum, and read how and what others are doing.

Another good place to read is Pool School, linked at the upper right of every page here.

I do have a question or three for you:

How large is your yard, and how much of it are you willing to devote to a pool and the associated equipment?

How level is your yard, especially the area you would consider for the pool?

Are you thinking about an in-ground pool or an above ground?

Thanks for the warm welcome.
To answer your questions,
my yard is 90ft x 90ft :).
Where I want to put it there is a slight slope and I would like to put in partially in the ground.
I will be going with an above ground pool. I want an in ground but unfortunately I cannot afford it.

I have been eyeing this one from thePoolfactory.com

18'x33'x54" Saltwater 8000 Oval Pool
$3,286.00
18'x33'x54" Oval Uni-Bead Portofino Liner - 25 Gauge
$150.00
X
AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump 2 Year Warranty
$549.00
X
Grand Entrance Steps 400700
$379.99
X
Solaxx Saltron Retro XL Saltwater Chlorine Generator SALRET20A-XL
$279.00
X
Deluxe Pool Cleaning Kit - 5 Piece
$69.99
X
Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light 98605000
$99.99
X
Subtotal: $4813.97
- See more at: http://www.thepoolfactory.com/wizard/index/index/item/2971/#sthash.3THEC1Fp.dpuf.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:. With an above ground pool, the ground you place it on must be very level - no more than about 1/2 inch elevation difference from end to end. Given that your yard has a slope, you would need to figure some cash (or sweat equity) for that leveling.

When setting up an AG you also need to consider underneath the liner - a pool pad/sand/or foam insulation bottom - as well as blocks or pavers for each leg to sit on top of.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:. With an above ground pool, the ground you place it on must be very level - no more than about 1/2 inch elevation difference from end to end. Given that your yard has a slope, you would need to figure some cash (or sweat equity) for that leveling.
Thanks for the tip. I will probably pay for someone to dig it out so this tip will be very helpful.
Welcome to TFP !
Don't forget to add a good test kit to your list.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison
Spend some time reading in pool school. There's a lot of good info there on maintaining water chemistry.
Any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks Im going to go there now. Since you said it I have a question.
What filtration system is the best for sensitive skin? My daughter sometimes gets a nasty rash 24hrs after being in certain pools. I always associated it with chlorine, thats why Im leaning towards going saltwater.
When setting up an AG you also need to consider underneath the liner - a pool pad/sand/or foam insulation bottom - as well as blocks or pavers for each leg to sit on top of.
Thanks for the help. We will be going with sand. What size pavers are needed for each leg?

A salt water pool is still a chlorine pool. Just a different way of maintaining the chlorine level. Read about that in Pool School.

12x12 or 18x18 pavers will do nicely. The tops of the pavers should be even with the sand bed.

For filtration, easiest to care for is sand, however it does take a bit longer to clear a pool should you ever have problems. Next is cartridge, can be a pain in the tail to clean -- wet messy job. The finest for filtration is DE. Again, read about this in Pool School.

Most likely, your daughter's rash after swimming is due not to chlorine, but to other chemicals and bather waste that hasn't been oxidized. Google "hot tub rash" for a few explanations.

Believe me, Pool School is where you will find a lot of information in answer to your questions.

We here at TFP have a tendency to not put anything in our pools that they don't need. I haven't read of a single case of hot tub rash from anyone that keeps their pool maintained by our methods.

Good luck in your quest for a clean, safe swimming experience for you and your family!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome Chad! Don't let a slope deter you from your Oasis! :mrgreen:

Before you buy the pool light make sure it will work with that pool. Our matrix has a different top rim setup because of the resin and it won't Hang like it's supposed to ( under rim over liner) We ended up returning and after 6 months of searching I found the colored light kit for the majestic steps! Better safe than sorry!

same thing with the saltron retro we bunged it over the rim and weighted the outside. Very happy with it!!

id also suggest a pool roverjr robot for cleaning. Had it with our intex and now on the new pool. sOOO much easier than hoses priming etc! Check craigslist!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 206
Suzy... you better put some water in that pool! :mrgreen:

Wow thanks guys for the support and info. I started the digging already, actually hired someone to do it ;). I still want to have a professional install the pool but they are hard to find in my area.

Im still not decided on the pool size, leaning towards 18x33 but don't want to regret not going bigger. I Also want the pool to be dug partially in the ground maybe 2-3 feet. As far as the digging goes how much bigger should the hole be out side of the pool size? Also what do you use as a backfill? Im going to run this past the people I buy the pool from as well.

What do you guys think of thepoolfactory.com? Has anyone bought from them before?

Since you will not be starting out as a baqua pool, there is no need to follow that

If you are having an installer place you pool, you will need to follow their (pool store) recommendations for warranty purposes, at least for the first couple of weeks/months. Others here will probably clarify that for you.

I urge you to read through Pool School many times starting with the "getting started" section.

Okay pool is ordered and on its way!

I was thinking about putting in some foam padding for the floor. I also order a 18' x 33' Oval Armor Shield Liner Floor Pad. Do I really need this is I go with the Extruded polystyrene?

Do I still put a layer of sand down first?

If I go with the Extruded polystyrene about how much will it cost on a 18 x 33 pool?

Since you will not be starting out as a baqua pool, there is no need to follow that

If you are having an installer place you pool, you will need to follow their (pool store) recommendations for warranty purposes, at least for the first couple of weeks/months. Others here will probably clarify that for you.

I urge you to read through Pool School many times starting with the "getting started" section.

Agree on not having to get started after a Baq Conversion. Read Pool School in it's entirety ChadS.

As far as going the Pool Store route, I disagree on maintaining a pool the pool store way. They only way this is remotely correct is if we are dealing with a Plaster/gunnite pool which you would have to follow Pool builders recommendations to protect the warranty. If, Charlie you are talking about backfill then yes, you may have to follow their recommendations on an appropriate back fill AND make sure your pool is rated for burial. Some pools are not and will void the warranty. Check the manufacturers Instructions to see. :goodjob:

Pool School! Pool School! Pool School! and make sure you have a TF100 XL in your arsenal. No sense in buying a few thousand dollar pool and getting by on a wimpy WalMart/test strips. Take care of your pool from the start. You will find everything you need to know in pool school and by asking questions. :cool: I can not help you on the cost of the foam.

Oh and Please post pics of your install!

I was referring to both the burial and pool start-up. Some installers (yes, even AGP) will not honor a warranty if the start up instructions are not followed. What you do after the start-up is up to you. I highly recommend using the TFPC route after start-up. If the installer doesn't care one way or the other, definitely use our methods for start-up!

Yes, agreed on the TF-100 XL, with SpeedStir. Honestly, If I had known about the TF-100 before I bought the K-2006, that would have been my choice, and my sig line would reflect that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.