Need Advice: New Pump and Filter

Jun 19, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Looking for some advice. I have an above ground oval 21 x 41 with a deep end. The pool came with the Hayward Xstream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge System with 1.5 HP Matrix Pump. Everything was working fine for the last 4 years up until the middle of last summer. For some reason the "easy lock ring" that seals the filter compartment started sticking to the point where I could not get it closed. It screws about 3/4 of the way it is supposed to, but won't complete the last half turn needed to lock in place. If I don't have a filter inside, it will close, but with the filter, no dice. I replaced the O-ring because it was loose, but that didn't solve the problem. I bought a new filter, tried silicone lubricant, but it still wont close all the way.

Another annoying thing with this unit, probably because of the heat in Las Vegas, but the fiberglass tank has tons of tiny little splinters that dig deep into your skin if you brush against it. I tried covering the top half in duck tape, but I still end up with nasty rashes whenever I have to mess with it - which became much worse now that it takes so much force to open and close it.

So - I am at the point where I know I need a new unit. Since this is going to be at least a few hundred bucks, I am wondering if I should replace it with the same Hayward product, or if there is something out there that would be a much better investment. Anyone out there with a pool close to or as big as mine that has a pump/filter product they absolutely love?

That is a big pool and a 150 sqft cartridge filter is kind of ridiculously small. We would recommend a cartridge filter up around 440 sqft.

For the pump, if you are going to upgrade you should look at 2-speed pumps like the Powerflo Matrix ... many members have these. Or you may be able to just put a new 2-speed motor on your existing pump.

That is a big pool and a 150 sqft cartridge filter is kind of ridiculously small. We would recommend a cartridge filter up around 440 sqft.

For the pump, if you are going to upgrade you should look at 2-speed pumps like the Powerflo Matrix ... many members have these. Or you may be able to just put a new 2-speed motor on your existing pump.

Do you have any suggestions on brand/model of filter? I am having a hard time finding a filter bigger than 150 sq ft for an AGP - should I be shopping for in ground filters? I do have to open up and rinse off the current filter very regularly to keep the pool clear, so it makes sense that maybe I need something bigger, just not sure what I am looking for.

You will have to look at in ground filters ... there is no real difference besides size. Seems like manufactures do not consider the AG pools as large as what you have which is much bigger than most IG pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.