24" AGP - lost all water - damaged liner

looper

May 6, 2010
So it has stopped snowing and I finally get to check out my 24' AGP. As usual, most of the water is gone, but this time, it's completely gone, and the liner got torn in 1 spot (probably caused by ice).

It's a straight line, so I'm wondering if there is any product I can use which would weld this cut, or even tape it, to keep the patch in place. Never hard to deal with anything like this before, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

pooldamage.jpg

The store mentioned the liner would cost $200-$300 to replace the lainer, and another $700 for labor if I can't do it myself. How difficult are these to install?

There is no possible way to salvage that liner. The tear is simply too big. The weight of the water would completely destroy the patch and it would be a safety hazard as that is a lot of water weight and it could easily rupture the integrity of the wall. You will have to replace it. Even if you could patch it and it hold the liner will not stretch again once you fill it. That price is standard for a new liner make sure to go as thick as you can. If it's along the seam and you winterized properly, the warranty should cover it depending on how long you have had it. Labor wise all types of liners are pretty easy to install.

No matter what the pool store folks say, liners are not all that difficult to replace. Just have some patience with it. There are quite a few YouTubes about liner replacement. Get yourself a couple friends and save yourself the pool store labor and go for it.

So it has stopped snowing and I finally get to check out my 24' AGP. As usual, most of the water is gone, but this time, it's completely gone, and the liner got torn in 1 spot (probably caused by ice).

It's a straight line, so I'm wondering if there is any product I can use which would weld this cut, or even tape it, to keep the patch in place. Never hard to deal with anything like this before, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

pooldamage.jpg

The store mentioned the liner would cost $200-$300 to replace the lainer, and another $700 for labor if I can't do it myself. How difficult are these to install?

Thanks guys. I didn't think I could recover the liner, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss some obvious fix. Can the liner be repurposed for any other project-around-the-house, or should I just trash it? It does look like the damage happened at the seem (will confirm later), and I did follow proper winterizing instructions.

As for installing the liner myself, do I need any special tools, or worry about the sand/foundation (pool is 5 years old)? The pool store also mentioned that when the liner is damaged, the tracks/rails (something like that) need to be replaced as well. Any idea what they are talking about, and is there any truth to it? The pool store has been good to me, but I would definitely like to do it myself if possible. I guess I'll get the liner from them, any suggestions as to what thickness I should be looking for? It's a liner with a special bead, so I guess that might limit my options.

I'll definitely check out the videos (plus I have some construction pics which might offer some tips).

What about the pool liner 'lock', do I need to replace that? The pool store suggested this, and found this notice on the manufacturer's website of the liner:
"If you have to change your above ground pool liner you probably need to change locks canvases too. See our suggested products."

I currently have the Unibead liner, but not sure if I have 26 or 40 (guessing this refers to the mil value?).

Alright, I took a few more, and have a few more questions before tackling this myself. According to the pool store, I would have to send a piece of the liner, which contains the hole, to the manufacturer (Aqua Leader), who would refund 50% of the MSRP if approved.

If you ever dealt with liner warranties, your tips/advice would be appreciated!

It looks like I have a 25 gauge liner now, but some places also sell 30 gauge, is this something I can switch to without having to upgrade the track? Is it worth upgrading to 30 gauge?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would take the time to submit whatever warranty claim they want. If you get 50% back, that would be great. If you do not, you are still going to have to buy a liner. You won't know unless you try. Watch You Tube and then, replace that liner yourself. They are not hard, just a little time consuming to get them even and all the air out:) Good luck! I think most everyone hated this winter for one reason or another. Here's to hoping for a hot, enjoyable summer!

I would take the time to submit whatever warranty claim they want. If you get 50% back, that would be great. If you do not, you are still going to have to buy a liner. You won't know unless you try. Watch You Tube and then, replace that liner yourself. They are not hard, just a little time consuming to get them even and all the air out:) Good luck! I think most everyone hated this winter for one reason or another. Here's to hoping for a hot, enjoyable summer!

Agreed! Liners are not hard to install. A few friends and a water hose... So much fun! :goodjob:

So glad winter is over!

Well, it looks like a JHook liner but you won't go wrong with an overlap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.