Gold Supporter
Apr 14, 2014
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all, (and admins and mods if this isnt the correct location for this please by all means move it for me)

I'm new here not new to pools have had them and been running them since I was a kid. Even helped working with a builder putting them together. But kinda have a deli-ma Im facing. So my pool is a 15x30 oval semi in ground about half way and its a 48" deep pool. Pool filter is located in my shed about 15-20 ft away. Single skimmer single return. So last year near where it was time to open the pool the pool cover got a hole in it due to a falling branch "thank god didnt damage the liner though". So I knew I needed a new cover. My father at the end of last years pool season decided to take it apon him self to buy a cover so he bought this one from a store was like half off guy talked him into it at the store. So with out listening to my judgement to not use it he wanted to use it anyhow. It was a weird cover never seen one like it before really. It was like woven together and was like breathable and could let water through and all. So we ended up using it even though i didnt want to. So this past weekend I decided to open it up a piece of the cover to see how the pool looked and it was bad. Never seen it or never had my pool like this before. Was green and had like misquote larva all in it. Really bad.. So decided to take it off and then drained the pool. So drained it to about 3-4" and removed my walk in steps and cleaned up all I could now currently filling up with fresh water. So when its full. What is my best option here. Should I just leave the pool open? Hook up my filter and set it up to run and have it run each day for x amount of hr's. Or should I put some chemicals in it and close it up for another month or 2 as its still cold here.

Looking for your opinions on this because Im torn to run the pump for two months with out using the pool..

On a side note. I currently have a waterway cartridge filter that came with the pool and it originally came with a "3 HP" pump but it wasn't a 3hp.. So the pump crapped out a few years ago and replaced it with a 1.5hp hayward power flow matrix pump I got for a good deal. But Im still running the same water way cartridge dont know part numbers off top my head. Im looking to replace it thought because its too small for this pool I know that but I dont know what I want. I'm leaning toward a sand filter with zeosand. But not sure what size to get and is my 1.5hp hayward too much? Im thinking of buying just a replacement motor for the hayward pump in a 1 or 1.5 hp 2 speed to replace mine but its only a thought. Please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks all,

Welcome to TFP!:wave:

NYMustang50 said:
Should I just leave the pool open? Hook up my filter and set it up to run and have it run each day for x amount of hr's. Or should I put some chemicals in it and close it up for another month or 2 as its still cold here
If the pool water is 60°F or greater, I would leave it open. One the water hits this temperature, algae and other organics contaminants will grow much more quickly. Thus, the pool will need more attention to prevent organics from gaining a foothold.

NYMustang50 said:
I'm leaning toward a sand filter with zeosand.
I would go with a sand filter. The sand filters of today are considerably more efficient than those made a decade or longer ago and they still offer the ease of maintenance that sand filters are known for.

NYMustang50 said:
...is my 1.5hp hayward too much? Im thinking of buying just a replacement motor for the hayward pump in a 1 or 1.5 hp 2 speed to replace mine but its only a thought
I would say that a 1.5HP pump is too much for the volume of water that you are moving. However, if you replace the motor only on your pump, you have a couple of choices:
  1. Replace the motor with a 2-speed of the same Service Factor HP (SFHP). This number should be listed somewhere on the motor. The SFHP is the product of the labeled HP times the Service Factor . For example, a pump with a labeled HP of 1.5 and a Service Factor of 1.1 would have a SFHP of 1.65.
  2. If you replace the motor on the existing pump with a lower SFHP motor, you will have to replace the impeller on the existing pump with one that is designed for the output of the motor you are installing.

There is a chart in this article that you may want to take a look at that shows the 8 hr water turnover: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/159-pool-pump-basics

Okay I could agree with you on that. Due to the research Ive done Ive seen hit or miss. So your right the sand would be fine by it self. Now just got to determine if I want the S180T or S210T..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.