Pool opening problem

finydb

Jun 5, 2013
So, we opened the pool on Saturday. Aside from the hour or two scraping smelly leaf MUCK off of the cover, all went well. I was expected some algae, but instead I got this:
10154406_10152346102231944_3037668314230480206_n.jpg
SUCCESS!!

Then, we hooked the filter back up, and that's when we noticed the leak on the return to the pool pipe. There is a small crack on the pipe attached to the filter. I went and bought some Waterweld, and I'm hoping that will work. Any experience with that? . . . in addition to that problem, we are getting below freezing temps tonight!! siggghhhhhh Never would have expected that in mid-April. I figured I need to run the pump if the temps get below freezing, but when I run the pump, the leak is REALLY bad. Any advice? Should I cover it with a blanket and a tarp just to make sure???

Another problem, the motor is whisteling pretty loud. It wasn't making the noise when I first hooked it back up on Saturday, but Sunday we had a really heavy rainfall. My husband thinks it could be just because of all the rain. I turned it to high, and it stopped after a second, but then came back. Is this something I need to worry about? I searched here on the forums, and saw something about the ball bearings going bad . . . but this is only my second summer with this filter, and the motor was in the garage all winter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

With your crack in the pipe you need to cut out the place where the crack is and replace it with another piece of pipe.

I can not see a picture of the cracked pipe, but it should be an easy DYI fix. You can get a piece of pipe splice fittings and glue at any big box home store.

As far as the freeze it will take more than one night and very low temperatures to freeze a 1.5 inch pipe solid. Otherwise I would not worry about it much, but you can run your pump just for insurance.

Fix

Cut out the section where the crack is. Use any kind of saw you have.

Use 2 (couplings) one on each side of the pipe scab in the new piece.

Lightly clean ends, sand and use primer then glue it up. Twist once you put the new piece of pipe on to make sure it all seals up.

Wait 5 minutes and you should be good to go.

It should not take more than 10-15 min to fix it up once you have the pipe and glue.

20140414_185802.jpg
It's the spot where the water weld is. We put it on the inside, but it was still leaking when I turned the filter on after it set. Waiting another hour for this to set to see if it will hold. Guess I'll be buying a new filter if this doesn't work. :(

You should be able to remove and replace that assembly without purchasing a whole new filter. Perhaps some others on the board can help

Notice tooth marks on the "nut", really only want to hand tighten fittings. The times you do need to tighten (half to 3/4 turn at most) use a rubber strap wrench, looks like you possibly over-tightened and it broke?
Metal tools love to break PVC and plastic.

We have used Gorilla glue in the past but found that using any kind of glue or weld it is best to leave set overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is easy. The pool people make their living off of lots of folks who just dont know and it serves them no purpose to teach you.

The original leak was prolly just a O ring that needed replacing. Unless its cracked like it is now, the O ring is just about the only thing it could possibly be.

Yeah, we kept tightening because it was leaking. Lol. Guess I should have paid for someone to reconnect everything. We hired someone to close it, but it was expensive and looked easy.

It wont be cold long enough for any significant freezing to occur. IMO I would leave it off. Are you in the Northeast? Gonna be in the fifties by midday here in Jersey

My wonderful husband just saved us $150 in parts! :) (without asking) he went home and re-fabricated the leaking pipes with $8 of pvc pipes. What a great guy! He said it's still leaking from the top where the handle is (need a longer screw driver to screw them down without stripping them) but only about a tablespoon an hour at most. yeahhhhhh Hopefully this will get us thru, if not we can always go spend the money on new parts.
valve (2).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.