New Pool Owner in AZ - TFP Beginner

Ben.L

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Hello!

New pool owner here in AZ. First heard about TFP from Reddit. I can already tell this place will my #1 info source. Currently using the Poolmaster 22260 basic test kit to keep chorine & PH in check. I have a rainbow chlorinator but it sounds like I will be ditching the tabs soon. Will be ordering a T-100 test kit & Speed stirrer as soon as my $10 coupon arrives from the Lifetime donation. Until then, I'll be in pool school ;)

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Your Lifetime donation goes strictly for the maintenance and upgrade of this forum. There is no advertising here and you have helped keep it that way. Thanks for your contribution.

T-100 is on order!

I had one question regarding my filter pump. I have a pentair variable speed pump that was setup to run at low rpm all day. It then runs at high rpm in the evening/off peak for cleaning. When I add acid, I switch it to high rpm manually and pour the acid in front of a return. I run the high rpm for a minimum of 1 hour. My question is for bleach, do I need to switch to high rpm as well? and for how long after?

Thanks for the info. I decided to add chemicals in the evening when the pump is already running at high-rpm, that way I don't have to remember to turn it down.

Got my T-100 last night! Here's are my results from this morning (love using the speedstir btw):
FC - 2.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.6
TA - 120
CH - 275
CYA - 60-70? (still getting the hang of this test)

From what I gather, my CYA is higher than i'd like it to be. According to the pool calculator, I should be targeting a FC of 5 due to my higher CYA level?

Yes, your CYA is a bit high and you should up your FC to about 5. Because of your climate, 60-70 CYA might work out OK for you so I wouldn't be in a hurry to lower it down. I think I would leave it there and just compensate with the increased FC. It may even save you some chlorine in the long run.

Sounds good. Our pool was just filled about a month ago so I wasn't really looking forward to replacing water. The pool company added liquid stabilizer then (before I knew about TFP). I'll ditch the trichlor, raise the FC to 5 and see how it goes. Anything else I should be aware of with a new pool build (pebbletec was completed about 1 month ago)? Seems like i've been adding acid (~12oz) every few days to keep PH in range. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.