What am I forgetting?

Feb 27, 2014
Pennsylvania
Total rookie here. I'm still reading and overwhelming myself with the wealth of info on this site, but if you could help me with my checklist, I'd appreciate it. Aside from the building materials, once I get the pool up, what items are must-haves? So far I've bought the 22x52 Intex pool, Intex 2650 sand filter/pump, and the Intex SWG. On my shopping list I have: the Hayward SP1091LX skimmer, Wanda the whale, and the TF-100 test kit. What else do I need? Which winter cover do you recommend? Do I need a solar cover and if so, which one is recommended? TIA!

I'm not sure what comes with the Intex kit, so these might already be included. You are going to want a pole, with leaf rake and brush attachments. You will want to have some chlorine (probably bleach) and CYA around for the first couple of days. Other chemicals depend on water test results. You could measure your fill water to see if any other chemicals will be required right off.

A solar cover is optional. It will help the water warm up in the spring and fall, but is extra work. Some people love them, many people don't bother.

Get a winter cover sized for your pool with tie downs around the edge and preferably with a rope around the edge of keeping it tight to the pool wall.

For both covers, don't bother with the more expensive premium covers. They all last about the same amount of time, so the extra money is hardly ever worth it.

Rest assured, my four kids will have no shortage of pool toys and floaties. :) I need to figure out some way to provide shade over a section of the pool, and find a winter cover (having a hard time locating a 22' winter cover. Would one meant for a 24' pool work?), but then I think I'm set!

You are going to need a skimmer net to scoop stuff floating on top of the water.
Note: A skimmer net is not the same as a leaf net, a.k.a. leaf rake. Leaf rake is much bigger and is for scooping stuff off the bottom. No doubt, the skimmer net is the most used maintenance thing i have.

You are going to need a vacuum head and vacuum hose for vacuuming the pool bottom. (the vacuum head will attach to the pool pole jasonlion mentioned) in lieu of the manual vacuum is a automatic or water operated pool cleaner of any varied variety, kreepy krawly, robot polaris or some other similar contraption.

Probably a backwash hose to divert water away from the immediate vicinity of the sand filter when you backwash.

Not a must have, but a thermometer might be handy now and then
You prolly will need some muratic acid to help with Ph when it goes up
A 1 qt measuring cup for measuring acid, chlorine and other stuff.

The next ones listed are not an option. They are absolutely essential
new sunglasses
goggles for seeing underwater
a new lounge/ pool chair
2 new BIG beach towels
a new swimsuit or 2
suntan lotion
new flip flops

and last but certainly not least;
a fat wallet !

I need to figure out some way to provide shade over a section of the pool

I need the same, I am light skinned and burn quick. When I had an above ground pool I purchased a cheap patio umbrella, drilled a couple holes in the pool then screwed it to the handrail so it shaded about a 4 foot area, that was my little spot and everyone knew it :)

We have a pool house on our current IG and it shades part of the shallow end in the late afternoon.

Someone here kept a tub of water (like dish washing tub or a larger mortar mixing tub -- $5 at Home Depot) at the ladder to the pool so kids could get grass and dirt off their feet before they got in the pool. I thought that was clever.

You have the required kids so, why not an under water camera? I got one for about $80. It's a Nikon and it is absolutely priceless with the kids. I turn my granddaughter loose with it and I get some really good pictures. Then sometimes I take the pictures and I get things like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 69

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One big item, that is free that I didn't notice listed in the other replies is patience.

If things start to get out of whack, you will find all the info and help here on the forums. When you start working to correct those out of whack problems, you will need to have patience. Other then what everyone else has mentioned already, I think you will be set for a great summer of swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.