Has anyone built horizontal fence? Because I saw this picture on the internet....

How did people come up with crazy ideas before the internet? My pool equipment and part of my septic equipment are just off the back of my house and easily visible to the back yard, patio, and pool. When I bought the house I had what was quite possibly the ugliest mess of fence and junk hiding the equipment. If you promise not to judge me for leaving this up for a year, I will show you a picture. Promise?

I have been struggling with how to address this mess and so I haven't done anything. The pool folks started my pool facelift last week, so over the weekend I decided it was time to get rid of that ugly fence and then I would be forced to figure it out. So all of the fence is down and all that is left is the posts, which are in better shape than I was expecting. So.... I sat down to search the internet for a plan. And I saw pictures of horizontal fencing that I like - and especially this one (obviously mine won't be so tall - mine will be 6 foot):

So after an adult beverage over the weekend I have decided that I can probably do this and it should be different enough not to clash with the traditional cedar privacy fencing that is across the front of the house. I need to have that stained, so I will stain it all the same color. My plan is to get rid of the gate, fence the two sides that are the ones that are normally seen, and leave the third side, which goes to a seldom used part of the yard, open. I won't have to worry about gating, plus it will leave me a nice long 12 foot section on the inside to hang poles and all that.

I am giving y'all a chance to tell me that this is a terrible idea and to stop now before I run into trouble that I am not expecting. Looks like it should be a fairly straight forward project, but having never built a fence of any kind, I figured I might ask around before I get overly involved. Thoughts?

To get the look you'll want to stagger the ends of the boards. If you're prepared to deal with that (more verticals) then I don't see an issue. Or if your boards are long enough to hit three verticals you're good....can stagger that way.

Note: I've never done this, but have done fencing and gates.

i think you will be able to do it, and make it look really good.

Whether staggered or not, if your boards don't quite reach between three posts, there is nothing wrong with adding a vertical 2x4 mid span to give yourself something to screw to.

Just have to make sure the board ends over a post for nailing. If you can get long enough boards to span the entire length of the fence, then no worries at all. If not, just cut to end over a post and stagger the ends so they don't all line up. Example: your fence will be 12' long and you have 4 posts evenly spaced (every 4'). You can get 8' boards. Starting at the bottom of the fence, left to right, you put an 8' board then a 4' (8' cut in two obviously). The next row will start with a 4' (the other half of the 8' you already cut), then an 8'. Repeat, alternating each row as explained until you get to the top.

Post pics when you complete your project glitter&guns!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.