No chlorine loss??

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
Just opened my pool over the weekend. I added bleach early evening yesterday. It hadn't had anything added to the water since late October although the water was crystal clear when I pulled off the winter cover. I put enough bleach to take it up to 14 FC figuring that there would be junk that needed killed even if I didn't see anything. I went out early this morning before the sun was up and it is still reading 14 FC. Could it really be that there was nothing in the water to use up any chlorine after sitting untreated all those months???

Yes, it is possible. At water temperatures below 60 degrees F, algae is fairly unlikely to grow and when it does it grows very slowly. Just continue keeping an eye on things as the water warms up.

That's good to know. When I closed last year, the water temperatures would have always been below 60-65. When I checked temperature Saturday, the water was 58 degrees. So I don't think the water has ever been higher than 60 since it was closed. Yesterday the outside temp was 81, but the water was still very cold. It is supposed to be 28 overnight tomorrow with possible flurries. :smurf: But that will only be for a few hours. We've had the winter that just won't end here in Ohio. :) I'm hoping for an unusually hot May so that I can get started swimming. At least the pool is ready for when the temperatures finally come!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.