Outdoor Beverage Cooler

Jul 30, 2013
Oklahoma
Hello all. I was wanting to get some advice on an outdoor refrigerator. I know some people use just a normal mini fridge and have no problems, but we are in Oklahoma, so the weather can get up in the 100's many days of the summer, and I really don't like to drink warm beer. :D The fridge will be freestanding under our covered patio, so exposure to the elements (other than heat/cold) would be kept to a minimum. What we are really wanting the one below, but was curious if the glass would provide enough insulation. Any advice either on another option or on this particular unit, I would appreciate the input. Thanks!

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_NewAir-3-4-Cu-Ft-Beverage-Cooler-Stainless-Steel-AB-1200_path_3-51-2110-2177-11477_item_2874438.html

We have a cooler similar to what you linked to with a glass door. The thermostat is broken and it literally will freeze stuff even in our hot summers. So, no warm beer, but may not be as efficient as one with more insulation.

Reminds me that I should work on fixing it :)

Typically a beverage cooler does not keep things as cool as a refrigerator. The specs on the one you listed do say it goes down to 34 but I have read mixed reviews on coolers as far as how cold they will get the drinks.

i had one like that outside under the patio, worked ok for about a month, then would barely cool. worked fine when i took it back inside. I bought one rated for outside and have had no problems so far

So far so good. Will post pics tomorrow. It keeps beverages icy cold, and because of a slight dent and an Easter sale, I got the unit for $200. So even if it doesn't work in the heat of the summer, I am not out too much.

How is your fridge doing? Do well in the summer? I'm in the debate right now on whether or not to drop the extra coin on outdoor models.

In Aug. 2013, I bought an indoor beverage cooler for use in our outdoor BBQ island. It is an EdgeStar Model #CBR1501SG 148 Can Stainless Steel Beverage Cooler and it struggled on the hot days (90 degrees & up) even though it was in complete shade all day. I think I paid $500 for it. If you really want cold drinks in the summer, buy a frig designed for the outdoors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.