Pool collapse - new pool options

TNBandmom

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
Two years ago we bought a house with a 27' round Ester Williams pool which had been buried except for about a foot. Hard to tell exactly since there was a deck around it. The previous owner gave us paper where he had replaced the liner about 2-3 years before we bought the house. The original pool was installed in the late 90's by the same group that we had bought our first pool from. Last fall before we were getting ready to close the pool we got a large rip in the cove area. We tried to patch and keep water in the pool. We had the guy who had replaced the liner come out to patch it. He didn't bring his stuff with him. Mistake 1 on his part. Mistake 2 he told me that even though the pool is dug out in the center he didn't put any special liner in it. Now I understand they will stretch but all 2 seasons we swam the liner at the top was bubbled with air between the wall and liner all the way around. So I don't think the install was right or something here. Mistake 3 was he told me that the reason he had to replace the liner before was because of a hole in the same place and that there had been a cave in that very spot. So all the things and the fact that he never returned to patch the pool as he said he would made me very leary of him. So now thus year we actually had a real winter and lots of rain. We lost the battle with the leak and it caved in.

We are now investigating options. A true in ground really isn't in the budget. I've researched here on the semi inground options and have narrowed it to the king george, bermuda or doughboy palm shore. The plumbing was already hard plumbed. We would really like to switch to an 18x34 52" oval with a hopper end. The walls on the orig pool are 51". My concern though here is the disturbed ground that the walls would now be sitting on. Are we asking for trouble down the road? Would a better option be to go with a larger round pool and still have a hopper side?

We are also having issues finding an installer here to work on it. Was wondering if anyone on here knew any installers in the Memphis Tn area? Hubby and I are diy'ers but we are not to sure about this project. We have already started the demo. Pool is out and now he has to remove the decking. We didn't like the decking anyway and now that we see the structure underneath we really don't like it

There is one doughboy dealer here who we talked to Saturday. However the main doughboy expert wasn't in.

Here's a pic of our hole to help with the visual.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the upside down pic. Posted using iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 336
I'm not experienced pool guy but make my pool guy told me not to put more then 2 in of sand under my pool and not less then 1". And also he told me not to install the pool wall uprights on the sand but on the virgin soil.

I'd certainly be concerned with installing on disturbed ground, especially considering your previous cave-in issues. Have you considered a round pool with a larger diameter that would be able to rest on virgin soil?

I am not a pool expert by I think someone could pour concrete footings under the uprights and reuse the hole. Although I think the deck will have to deck boards would have to be removes to allow room to work. Just my $.02.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.