Pump Problem

dd50

May 31, 2008
florida
My pool was working fine yestarday and today it didn't turn on. At first I thought that the electric co had it stopped for a while. I went out again because it didn't come on and heard a low humming sound. Turned it off, cleaned the filter which wasn't dirty. It hums then stops. Does that mean it is dead? What do I do?

It's inside. If you look into your pump strainer with the basket removed, the hole that goes into the pump leads directly to the impeller chamber. You could make sure the power is off (pump un-plugged), take out the basket and stick your finger in the chamber to see if you can feel any obstruction or if you can turn the impeller.

Or better yet wait until an expert chimes in :)

dd50,

When we talk about a filter pump, or any pump really, it is comprised of two parts. The first part is truly a pump, and the impeller is the part that spins and physically moves the water. The second part is an electrical motor, and there is a rotating shaft on the electrical motor which attaches to the pump and spins the impeller.

If the problem is not a blocked impeller, then the problem may lie with the electrical motor. Pool motors can fail in several different ways, in no particular order or completeness:

1. Failed start or run capacitor.
2. Failed or dirty motor contacts in the motor
3. Failed motor bearings.

Here is a YouTube video on how to replace a motor capacitor. CAUTION: Don't do this unless you know how to work safely around electricity.
[youtube:20i0j0yp]ZEIv5ClLqXg[/youtube:20i0j0yp]

Sometimes Cause #2 above can be temporarily "solved" by whacking the side of the motor (not hard enough to dent the motor) with a stick.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2214569_repair-pool-pump.html

http://www.troubleshooters.com/pool/pump/index.htm

Titanium

Thanks, think I will call Pool Doctor after I check if it is the impeller. I will see if it will turn. Don't like to play with anything electric, and electric and water I'm not that brave. I think I replaced the pump about 2 years ago, but can't find the receipt. They gave me an estimate of $345 if it is the pump and they said that is what it sounds like. It is 1 1/2 hp.

Pool Doctor put in a new one for $345. They said pumps only last about 3 - 5 years. Don't know if that is true but it seems I have been buying them about every 3 - 5 years. Mine is run all year long for 8 hours a day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.