cracked shotcrete

Aug 27, 2013
I had my pool dug and sprayed with shotcrete last fall. We have developed a long crack in the deep end. I talked to the builder and he states this is common with shotcrete and won't effect the integrity of the structure. I've searched online and have seen differing opinions. Anyone have input on this?

Sounds like a structural crack. Can you give a better description of the crack? Pictures would also be helpful.

Can you describe the soil, and if they hit water?

What were the specs on the concrete thickness, psi and rebar?

Do the crcracks go up the walls and through the tile?

RZveRHo.jpg

For some reason it didn't let me upload the picture. I've linked to it in imgur, if that works.

That looks like a structural crack. It's hard to say if it will be ok long term. I would be wondering why it cracked now.

Why hasn't the pool been plastered by now?

What is your ground-water situation?

I'm no concrete expert, but the crack looks like it has water seeping up and through it. That would make me think the crack was structural and not just a surface crack. That would be my concern if it were mine. Remember I don't know anything about concrete, maybe someone with some experience or expertise can correct or confirm that suspicion.

The only way to know for sure is to have a section cut out say a 4 x 8 inch to see how deep it goes down .

A concrete patch can repair that part.

Since it is side to side it does appear that the weight of the deep end and or the ground underneath settled during the winter.

Over all it does not look fatal, but if you plaster on top and it settles any more you will have a crack in your plaster.

To the above posts - how is the structure of the rebar, thickness of the gunite and what kind of base was under the gunite if any.

Also do you have water under the pour. My pool actually has a natural water running under it - its just how the site was....

In New England or CT we over engineer our pools with rebar and spray 12" thick gunite all the way around. Many builder use thinner or 8" gunite and
then will make a T or a cap on the walls at 12" for coping. We spend an extra 2- $2,500K on base gravel, steel and gunite, but even my pool has a small
hairline crack.

I can't fault your pool builder, but it should be checked out before you spend a lot of money on the finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.