Deck Jet Project (please comment on my plan)

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
Hi folks... I am waiting on my valves and jets to show up this week, and as long as the cold stays away I want to start my install this weekend. I am going to replace all my ball valves, and remove the Chlorinator as well as add a valve to each return. I plan on running the deck jet manifold between the filter and heater (is this OK) this is where my sliding board is plumbed (will include it in the deck jet manifold for a cleaner appearance). Also I don't have any check valves, is this needed? I haven't had any since the pool was built, and don't know if its needed. I may add a flow meter (if not this time, I will this summer) if I do what is the best location for that.

My plumbing is all 1.5. I plan to make the manifold for the deck jets out of 1.5 and the runs will be 1.5 all the way to the wall and then 3/4 up to the surface to the jets.

My pump is a 3/4 HP pump

here are some pics... let me know if tapping into the line between the heater and filter will do...

I plan on running the deck jet manifold between the filter and heater (is this OK)
It depends. On some Hayward heaters, the exhaust fan will kick on when the pressure switch is turned off. So if you redirect too much flow past the heater, and the heater is powered (heat on or off), then this could happen.

I would put a tee right after the heater in the short section of pipe.

I keep the heater powered off unless I use it (just hear the pool). But I do know if I turn the pool vac on with the heater on the heater will go to low volume (forget exact phrase) so I can't run it with the heater is all. The line after the heater runs straight to the returns for the pool, if I do that I would incorporate the return into the Mansfield for the deck jets...

Thought? Does it really matter where it goes? Someone told me that it needed to be on the line between the filter and heater... I just thought that was how it's done???

If you keep the heater powered off, then it should be fine between the filter and heater. Of course if you ever want heated jets........

I have seen it done both ways so it really is just personal preference. If the heater is not an issue then it is fine to plumb them before the heater.

thanks for you time buddy... Honestly I like the idea of grouping all the returns/jets after the heater if that works just the same I am good with that?? I might even move the slide feed over there too?

any thoughts on the flow meter?

I didn't know if it would be helpful for tweaking the valves to get things running right... with me only having a 3/4 HP pump... I suspect I may need to open/close some valves to get proper pressure to the deck jets... so I thought it would show me that the flow was right somehow... sorry, I'm learning as I go... I keep my pump running 24/7 I never shut it down other than cleaning and such...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't know if it would be helpful for tweaking the valves to get things running right... with me only having a 3/4 HP pump... I suspect I may need to open/close some valves to get proper pressure to the deck jets... so I thought it would show me that the flow was right somehow... sorry, I'm learning as I go... I keep my pump running 24/7 I never shut it down other than cleaning and such...
Knowing the flow rate isn't going to help much. Trial error is the best method.

As for your layout, I would use two 3-way valves to make it easier to turn on and off each "feature".

The first would control the flow to the slide on a branch port. After that use another 3-way to split between the jets and the returns. You can still have a ball valve for each of the lines if you want but the 3-ways make it much easier to turn each "feature" on and off without changing the ball valves.

hmm OK just trying to picture that in my head... let me add it to my drawing... sounds like if I do that I need the heater to go to the returns first, then to a 3 way, then to the slide, then to another 3 way, then to my 4 deck jets?

Similar to the following picture except instead of the spa, you have deck jets and you would not have the spa bypass either. Also, you have a slide instead of a waterfall. But it actually doesn't matter much which goes on which port of the 3-ways.

For both both the returns and deck jets, after the 3-way, you would have your header with the ball valves.

jandy_plumbing_diagram_pg7.jpg

would I need 2 of the 3 way valves? or would it be 1?

heater to returns to a 3 way that has the deck jets on one side, slide on the other or off position (pointed back to the return)... I am looking that info up... no sure how 2 of those will work?

Update:
I see your diagram... I still cant understand how that works...

I know its messy, I need to install an app so this works out better,,,

something like that?

thanks buddy... this helps me to see what you were talking about... I will order two 3 way valves to add to my project. Do you think its a good idea to have the jandy valves on all of the lines as well? I know it helps to trim up the pressure to the jets... Also for my Polaris pool cleaner... do you think its plumbed ok? I have it before the heater... And do you think my supply line is OK? Or should I add a 3 way there or replace the ball valves (skimmer and main drain)

If I could buy you a beer I would.. thanks for helping a guy out...

Polaris is fine. And yes, Jandy 2-way valves are much better and last much longer than standard 2-way valves. You probably don't need them on the returns but it would probably be a good idea on the jets so you can make them all look the same.

I was thinking I could use the valves on the returns to reduce flow to the returns to get more out of the deck jets, incase my pump is unable to do both... Is that a good idea or should I just shut the returns off if I can't run both?

Also what is your thought on the supply, should I just keep as is for now or add a 3 way in place of the "T"? And does it need valves on each as well (don't know why it would).

You no longer need the individual valves on the returns. The 3-way valves can be used to adjust the flow to each feature. The only caveat is that you may still want individual control to each of the deck jets.

The suction is fine the way it is.

Ok... So you are saying no individual valves on the returns.. Got it... How about the supply line to the pump? Do I need a 3 way there? In my pic ith the one from the main drain and skimmer to the pump.

Once I get all this I will do a final diagram (need to find an app to make it with)...

So fad I need two mor 3 way valves... Just trying to figure out the supply... Ok as is with the ball valves, or do I change it.

Update: I just saw your comment on the suction.. I will keep as is....

thanks agn... I will work up a diagram for final plan and make sure I got it all right...

I will put in an order for the 3 ways in the morning... I think I have 2 two many of the 2 way valves on the way now... wonder if I can return... Might be good for backups I guess...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.